Maxto OneTouch II Installation problems

maxtorhd

Hello,

Was hoping that you could help me to understand why Danz Retrospect Express HD software does not work after installation.

Please note the steps I have taken to install your software for the Maxtor 250 GB drive.

1) I have installed all the software as per installation CD on my Win XP (SP2) laptop. It installed Retrospect Express HD 1.0.196 and Maxtor OneTough on my laptop.

2) I then connect the drive to my laptop (as per installations instruction).

3) Setup the OneTough feature.

I press the button in from off the drive. Nothing happens.

I run Retrospect Express HD and then press Setup. Nothing happens.

I can see the disk drive in Windows Explorer as Local Disk (E:). I can copy to the disk drive and delete files from the disk drive. All of that works. However, I can not get the Retrospect Express HD 1.0.196 and Maxtor OneTough software to work. I want to be able to do back-ups and duplicates.... Can you help me here?

Thank you for reading this and responding.

regards

appl.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I am having the same problem. Mine says unlicensed. I have already installed over my licensed version. THen followed instructions from tech support to uninstall then reinstall retrospect hd express 1.0 and then reinstall the 1.1.

The problem I have with uninstalling 1.0 and reinstalling is that when I reinstall I cannot finish the setup because it goes to the status of updating without ever ending (waited 45 minutes).

I have read in other forum boxes that the retrospect representative sent a config file with instructions for installation to help the 1.1 version recognize the license. People were no longer responding once they recieved the file (I assume this to mean that the problem was solved). This was in the forum for retrospect hd express and heading for microsoft net 2.0: http://forums.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/64283/an/0/page/0#Post64283

Please help, because I cannot backup my system which is the only reason I bought the hard drive.

I seem to be having the same problem described above, EXCEPT, Retrospect did work on my system fine for a few months. I bought a Maxtor One Touch II drive Christmastime and installed the Retrospect software from the CD with the drive. It backed up fine on 1/5/06 and made periodic backups as scheduled. But I took a look at the Maxtor drive recently to see if I was running out of room and found it had not backed up since 4/19/06. I tried reinstalling from the Maxtor One Touch II installation disk. No help. I tried downloading the latest drivers for Retrospect Express from the Maxtor site and also from the EMC Insignia site without any help. It says it sucessfully installed. But when I open the program it shows no restore points (even though on the drive itself there are restore points), and the SETUP button is active, but pressing it doesn't do anything. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

I have just purchased a Maxtor One Touch 3 - it came with 126, I upgraded to 127. I am trying to backup an IBM 40 GB laptop through the USB port, Windows XP service pack 2.

When I press the backup link to create a comprehensive backup the screen says "Backup in progress Preparing, this may take a while..."

12 Hours later, nothing appears to have happened.

It might be unrelated, but when I tried to backup selected files I received this error message...

Normal backup using DirectBackup at 06/18/2006 9:19 AM

Can't access Backup Set RestorePoint, error -1101 (file/directory not found)

06/18/2006 9:19:48 AM: Execution incomplete

I can Synchronize OK, but I want to be able to backup my system.

Just tried to Duplicate selected files - similar message, nothing happens!

This is what my log file contains...

HSvcRestoreReg: FindFirstFileW(rdregrst.ini) failed 2

hsvcWin2kDbRestore: GetFileAttributes(C:\WINDOWS\RDRSMBk\RtrRsm.ini) failed 3

hsvcWin2kDbRestore: GetFileAttributes(C:\WINDOWS\RDComRegBk\RtrComRg.ini) failed 3

hsvcWin2kDbRestore: GetFileAttributes(C:\WINDOWS\RDIISMetBk\RtrIISM.ini) failed 3

hsvcWin2kDbRestore: GetFileAttributes(C:\WINDOWS\RDWMIBk\RtrWMI.ini) failed 3

hsvcWin2kDbRestore: GetFileAttributes(C:\WINDOWS\RDActDirBk\RtrActDr.ini) failed 3

hsvcWin2kDbRestore: GetFileAttributes(C:\WINDOWS\RDCertSvBk\RtrCertS.ini) failed 3

No work to do, quitting...

I seem to have a very similar problem to what SteveF describes above. My Maxtor OneTouch II and Retrospect Express HD 1.0.196 has worked well for over a year with my Acer Aspire laptop and Windows XP SP2. Now, all of a sudden, I'm stuck with the "Updating status..." message. The Setup button does not work and I cannot get any backups. The disk drive itself seems to work, though, as I can manually access it from Windows.

I tried to upgrade to version 1.1.127, with the result of getting an "unlicensed" on the main screen. So still no backups.

The last time things worked well was some two weeks ago. Since then I have not (at least knowingly) done anything with Microsoft .net framework. My "Add and remove programs" show version 1.1 of that, not 2.0 that has been referred to in some other threads. There have been some other Windows XP updates after that time, though.

I even tried to revert back to a Windows XP Restore Point in May (that's when everything still worked fine), but I continue having the problem.

Before starting yet another sequence of uninstalling and installing stuff, I'd like to hear if others have actually got any help from the hints in this thread or if perhaps the the conf files referred to here would provide an easier way. I'd also appreciate any other tips you could give.

Thanks,

Risto

Hello Purple

Make sure the external maxtor is plugged in tightly and turned on.

Can you see your external maxtor drive in my computer? Can you browse the external maxtor drive?

Try doind a catalog rebuild by deleting the .rbc file from the retrospect restore points folder on the external drive. When you launch HD, backup maintenance in progress message will display as HD rebuilds the catlog file, which can take a couple of hours.

Go through setup, then try to do a backup.

Thanks,

RetroRespect

Thanks for the suggestions.

As I mentioned in my original post, the Maxtor Sync option worked, and I used SyncBack to backup some other files, so yes, the Maxtor is plugged in, switched on, and working!

I uninstalled Retrospect, and installed Acronis, which worked first go too, so I guess I have solved my problem.

Hello,

I am trying to use Maxtor OneTouch II to back up a server running Windows Server 2003 R2.

I installed the software from the CD that came with the drive (it contained Reprospect Express

HD 1.0.xx). Then I was able to see the drive in Explorer, but observed exactly the same behavior

as in original post by maxtorhd:

I press the button in front of the drive. Nothing happens.

After reading this thread, I downloaded and installed Reprospect Express HD 1.1.127.

Now the look of Retrospect window changed somewhat, but now

I press the button in front of the drive. The pop-up window shows that says:

Retrospect has encountered a serious error: Assertion failed at "module.cpp-460".

A log of this error has been written to the file "assert_log.utx".

Please tell Dantz about this problem. ...

I pressed the "Yes" button, so there is chance that it sent the error report.

I tried to locate the file "assert_log.utx", but could not find it.

Yes, the server has .Net 2.0 installed. The Maxtor window says "unlicensed".

It does NOT say "updating status".

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Max

Hello PurpleEdge

Can you access your external drive through my computer? Can you copy files to your external drive by copy and paste?

You can try to do a catalog rebuild by moving the .rbc file from the retrospect restore points folder on your external drive to your C:, then launch retrospect express HD and it will perform backup maintenance and rebuild the catalog file.

If you have had to shutdown your system with the power switch instead of using windows shutdown, or had power outages, you may have corrupted your backup, in which case you will have to start fresh with new backups and remove the old one by deleting the retrospect restore points folder on the external drive and start fresh.

Thanks,

RetroRespect

Have there been any new developments on this problem that give a robust solution?

I have had the same problem reported here and in other threads, for example "Retrospect Express HD 1.0 fails to Install properly" from Nov. 2005.

I have tried

- All steps recommended in Knowledge Base item 8025 - same problems occur

- All steps recommended in KB 8098 - same problems occur

- Installing HD 1.1.127 with .NET 1.1 and with .NET 2.0 - same problems occur

- Using Retrospect Express 6.0 from original installation disk - RE 6.0 runs but it cannot read the .rbc file because it complains that .rbc is an incompatible version.

I need a robust solution to the RE HD + .NET incompatibility that really works.

At the very least, I need at least a rudimentary utility or script that will read and recover existing .rbc files to recover my files (!)

Thanks for any help you can provide!

---- Stop reading here, unless you want history and details ----

- Compaq Presario with Win XP, connected to Maxtor One Touch II with Retrospect Express HD

- Worked OK for about 6 months

- Needed to replace C: drive following a hard disk crash

- Reinstalled Win XP, SP1 and SP2

- Reinstalled Maxtor drivers and Retrospect Express

- On start up, I get the error described elsewhere -- "RetroExpress.exe - Common Language Runtime Debugging Services ... Application has generated an exception that cannot be handled ... ", etc.

- If I try to start RE HD, either using the "Setup & Restore" button on the Maxtor command screen or directly from Win Start > All Programs, nothing appears on the screen, although Task Manager shows that OneTouch.exe, retrorun.exe, and Retrospect.exe are all running

- I can see and open files files on the Maxtor One Touch using Win Explorer

The problem I'm having is similar to the ones already posted here. I had to replace my hard drive and did a ground-up reinstall. I installed all of the Microsoft stuff I needed first, including .Net 2.0, then reinstalled the Maxtor One-Touch software and Retrospect Express HD 1.0 from the original disk. Got the "Updating..." problem. Found this thread and did fhe following:

Uninstalled .Net 2.0, which got RE 1.0 to work properly.

Installed RE 1.1 and it says "Unlicensed".

Uninstalled Maxtor One-Touch and RE 1.1, then reinstalled from original disk.

Ran RE 1.0 again and made sure it worked.

Installed RE 1.1 and it still says "Unlicensed".

Is there any way to convince RE 1.1 that it's licensed? I need .Net 2.0, so staying with RE 1.0 isn't an option.

I have used my Maxtor w/ Retrospect Express to backup my system for about seven months. It worked fine until about four days ago. I downloaded the updated software through the link above, but still get the same message. I uninstalled and then reinstalled and then updated the software--I got a bad license message the first time I started the program, but that went away after reboot. I still get the following message or variation when I try to back up the drive.

Normal backup using DirectBackup at 7/9/2006 10:39 PM

To Backup Set RestorePoint...

*Resolved container My Computer container to 2 volumes:

Local Disk (C:)

Local Disk (F:)

-7/9/2006 10:39:35 PM: Copying Local Disk (C:)

7/9/2006 10:42:22 PM: Snapshot stored, 13.4 MB

7/9/2006 10:42:26 PM: Comparing Local Disk (C:)

7/9/2006 10:43:13 PM: Execution completed successfully

Completed: 717 files, 181.2 MB

Performance: 286.0 MB/minute (362.3 copy, 241.5 compare)

Duration: 00:03:37 (00:02:21 idle/loading/preparing)

-7/9/2006 10:43:13 PM: Copying Local Disk (F:)

7/9/2006 10:43:13 PM: No files need to be copied

7/9/2006 10:43:16 PM: Snapshot stored, 17 KB

7/9/2006 10:43:18 PM: Comparing Local Disk (F:)

7/9/2006 10:43:19 PM: Execution completed successfully

Duration: 00:00:06 (00:00:05 idle/loading/preparing)

Can't compress Catalog File for Backup Set RestorePoint, error -808 (key/refnum search failed)

Can't compress Catalog File for Backup Set RestorePoint, error -808 (key/refnum search failed)

7/9/2006 10:43:21 PM: 2 execution errors

Total performance: 278.7 MB/minute

Total duration: 00:03:44 (00:02:27 idle/loading/preparing)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I, too, and having the same exact problem as everyone else...and I've done everything suggested to repair it, but it still doesn't work. If there's a repaired config file(s), I'd really appreciate it if I could get them, as I need the Retrospect software to work.

Archived