Express 4.3 slows & stops

I am using a SuperDisk trying to back up the h.d. on my iMac 500, OS 9.2. In an immediate back-up it starts up O.K., and then gradually slows down. Long before the SuperDisk cartridge is full, the SuperDisk drive stops, although the little gears in Retrospect Express are still turning. When I hit the Stop button, I'm asked if I want to stop the operation. I hit Yes. The program says it is cancelling the operation, but nothing is happening. Now the machine is frozen and I have to restart. Anyone have any idea of how to fix this? Retro Express isn't much good operating this way. I used another SuperDisk and other disks, but the same thing happens. SuperDisk drive is apparently O.K.

It tells me "no devices found". When I go to DEVICE STATUS it comes up with blank listing.

Very peculiar, because the SuperDisk works fine otherwise. SuperDisk never came up with an icon on the desktop. It always gives me the media icon on the desktop -- and when copying (which slows and stops) the icon is named properly: "6 Storage Set A", for example.

Apple Profiler gives me a name for the SuperDisk: E-USB Bridge. Product ID 1 ($1). Vendor: Shuttle Tech (Shuttle Technology Inc.) ($4e6). Driver Name: USB Imation Storage Class. Hope this means something to you!

• 4 weeks later...

If your backup is hanging on multiple disks, try downloading the latest Imation drivers and then erase the SuperDisks while the new drivers are installed.

Try a new USB cable. Plug the drive directly into the comptuer, if it is on a hub.

Try the drive on a different computer.

-------------

This is from Apple:

TITLE

USB: Device Troubleshooting

Article ID:

Created:

Modified: 58033

8/14/98

11/1/99

------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOPIC

This article provides some troubleshooting steps applicable to USB devices.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

DISCUSSION

Apple System Profiler (ASP) version 2.1.2 or higher can list all USB devices that are connected to the computer.

ASP is a valuable tool because it lists the USB devices that are connected as well as which device they may be connected through. By using ASP, you can get a good representation of the USB devices connected to the computer without having to trace all the devices and their connections.

The following steps may assist you in isolating the cause of a USB problem:

1. Check to make sure you have the latest firmware update for your computer. Apple has released firmware updates that may help to resolve USB problems. Search the Apple Software Updates Web site at http://www.apple.com/swupdates for relevant updates.

2. Try unplugging and replugging the USB cable on problem device. If you have another USB cable, try it also. Verify that the third-party device is plugged into power if it is self-powered.

3. Use Apple System Profiler to verify the device is seen by the Macintosh. If it is, the problem is usually software in nature because the Macintosh hardware can see the device. Continue on to step 4. If the device is not seen by Apple System Profiler, it may require service and the service representative for the device should be contacted for further information.

4. Restart the computer holding down the Shift key to disable any non-Apple extensions. Once the computer has started up, try the device again. If it works, you may not need the software supplied with the device, use the Extensions Manager control panel to enable all the extensions except for the USB device in question and restart. If the device fails, continue to Step 5.

5. Verify that the USB device driver software is installed and active. If the software is active and the device shows up in ASP but is not working, reinstall the software. First check the Web site for the device to see if there is an updated version of the driver.

http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n58033

• 3 months later...

To Pandru and AmyC:

I experienced the same problem with my SuperDisk drive (which came with Retrospect Express 4.1 bundled).

I purchased the upgrade to 4.3 and began to use Retrospect.

My Mac was a PowerBook G3 Series 500 MHz / 384 MB. I was trying to back up about 6,000 files, which came to about 1 GB. I would need about 5 or 6 SuperDisk media. The drive was attached to the laptop itself, not to a hub.

The behavior was precisely what you described, pandru, on your iMac. After the first disk completed, Retrospect Express would hang the system during the second disk.

After rebooting my PowerBook, and restarting the backup, Retrospect would generally pick up where it left off. It never stopped on the first disk, only on subsequent disks. When disk 2 would finally complete after the restart, Retrospect would move on to disk 3. It would freeze in the middle of disk 3, and then I would have to reboot the PowerBook, and restart Retrospect again. And so it went. For 5 or 6 disks, I often had to reboot 3 times or more. In general, Retrospect Express would display the name of a large binary file when it was hanging. It never seemed to hang on ASCII files.

I later began to use Retrospect Express 4.3 and the external SuperDisk drive on my home iMac. Same story.

Back in Feb, 2002, I downloaded new drivers from Dantz (update 2.4). I have not gotten around to backing up anything since then (my patience is not boundless), so I do not know if the new drivers will help.

I saw that your post was from April and May, 2002. I would imagine that you, too, have the latest drivers, but the behavior of Ret Exp 4.3 is the same for you as it was for me.

Have you resolved this issue, or does this behavior continue for you to this day?

If your backup is hanging on multiple disks, try downloading the latest Imation drivers (not Dantz drivers) and then erase the SuperDisks while the new drivers are installed.

1. Check to make sure you have the latest firmware update for your computer. Apple has released firmware updates that may help to resolve USB problems. Search the Apple Software Updates Web site at http://www.apple.com/swupdates for relevant updates.

2. Try unplugging and replugging the USB cable on problem device. If you have another USB cable, try it also. Verify that the third-party device is plugged into power if it is self-powered.

3. Restart the computer holding down the Shift key to disable any non-Apple extensions. Once the computer has started up, try the device again. If it works, you may not need the software supplied with the device, use the Extensions Manager control panel to enable all the extensions except for the USB device in question and restart. If the device fails, continue to Step 5.

4. Verify that the USB device driver software is installed and active. If the software is active and the device shows up in ASP but is not working, reinstall the software. First check the Web site for the device to see if there is an updated version of the driver.

These drives are 100% compatible with Retrospect in a properly functioning environment. The hang may be something as simple as an extension conflict.

Archived