Can't make client on server

I posted on the other forum yesterday but got no response. Can anyone help me here. please?

Here's the situation. We use Retro 5.1 on our server and we use Retro Client 5.1 on our computers. I am in charge of keeping the computers running and will admit that I don't know as much as I should but I try.

I got in a new G5 Mac OSX Tiger computer. I was using a G4 OSX Panther computer. The way it works here is that when someone gets a new computer, theirs gets passed down to the next in line. I changed the names of the computers and changed the passwords so that Retro would recognize them. I was able to get the old computer backing up but am running into problems getting my new one to do the same. When I go to make a new client, I get a message telling me that "Activator code conflict found." So I look in the log and it tells me that my old computer and my new one are conflicting because they have the same activator code. "Activator code 3-4S88-EPL7-X66Z-1 is used by multiple clients." Can you help me with this one?

And then I was reading in here that even if I get this working correctly, Tiger isn't compatible with 5.1? Is that right? Do I need to get new software for the server? Because, isn't it true that the server can be, let's say for example 6.0 and the clients can stay 5.1, but it can't be the other way around-the client is a higher version than the server? I need some guidance. We may need to do some major purchasing so we can all be getting backed up correctly. You see there are 9 computers that need to be backed up regularly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

You don't mention what operating system the Retrospect server is running. Are these all OSX machines? If they are I would recommend upgrading to 6.1 so that you don't have to worry about encountering problems as more Tiger machines are introduced into the environment.

For the duplicate activator code message you are receiving, please take a look at this knowledgebase article and let us know if this applies to you:

http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=6340&p=2

Archived