-1128 path too long

alastra

I purchased a new maxtor 500gb external hardrive, and it comes with the Restrospect Express HD, I have tried 7 times to do a Duplicate Backup, it always gives me the same error :-1128 path too long. Is it because the names of the files are too long? I was forced to do the Comprehensive Backup instead of the Duplicate. What can i do?

alberto

Hello albertolastra.

Windows has a file path limitation. When HD does a duplicate, it copies your data into a folder on your external drive called G:\Retrospect Duplicates\Backup of Local Disk © which is added to your existing data path, which exceeds wondows maximum file path length.

You can try to copy and paste your files/folders to the external drive which might work.

See this microsoft article for details http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q177665/

Thanks,

RetroRespect

• 3 months later...

can you explain why retrospect hd express allows you to backup files/folders with long file names but when you try to restore them, it give the error 1128 path too long and just stop there? I mean it happily backup the whole directory without warning you that you will have problem later when you try to restore them.

Is there anyway to bypass or skip over those files/folder with exception long names and let the restore complete instead of stopping?

thanks

andrew

Archived