always restarting client

I am running Retrospect Multi server on 2 Windows 2003 servers. I am backing up 42 servers between the 2 backup servers. Almost every day a backup will fail on one of the servers. All I have to do is restart the Retrospect Client on the server that failed, and it will run the next backup job. Its not the same server every time, sometimes I'll have 3 or 4 in one day. Its just a hassle to restart the services. I checked the web site and have the latest updates. any idea's?

Hey Rusty. Thanks for this info. Are you backing up to a NAS or SAN? I've seen the issue you are referring to when I have several (usually four or more) executions running where they all are accessing the same NAS. This problem disappears, however, when I moved the backup sets to a SAN. I'm not sure if it was a throughput issue, and IO issue, or what, but that was my only fix for that problem. I don't think it was a throughput issue, as both the backup server and the NAS it was connected to were utilizing Gig NICs connected to a Gig switch. Then again, I'm still not ruling this out.

I also have this same issue. I am using Retro (7.5.251) to backup about 10 servers and 60 or so clients to a local RAID on the backup server, and every day one or more clients will fail. Doesn't seem to matter what Windows OS they are running. The retro client needs to be restarted so the server can access it again. This has been happening ever since version 7.5 came out, and sadly, EMC has not fixed the problem yet even though they just released a new client 7.5.116...

Me Too.

I have a batch file that restarts the service on all clients a few minutes before I do a regular backup. That has solved the problem for desktops but laptops still don't get backed up.

I just scheduled the script to run every two hours during the day but I am afraid of what is going to happen when I restart the client service in the middle of a backup. It feels like that would be a Very Bad Thing .

Dan

I don't mean to pile on here, but this is a serious issue. As stated in this thread, this problem began with the 7.5 version of Retrospect. I'm running into the same issue since I upgraded to 7.5. I'm running Retrospect Multi Server 7.5.251 on Windows 2003 Standard server. The bulk of my backups are written to disk with a weekly dump of the disk stores to an lto3 autoloader. I just came to the site to see if a newer windows client had been released. I was excited to see the 7.5.116 client release, but I see from a post on this thread that this client does not resolve this issue. I've been using Retrospect Multi Server since 2003 and have been for the most part a happy user, but this is a BIG problem. Please address it.

So I dont seem to be the only one having this issue. I backup to a local RAID on the server Retrospect is installed on. Its a 7.5 TB array. I have thought about setting up a script as mentioned by Dan. Maybe I will give it a try. But if it is a bug, it needs fixed.

• 1 month later...

It would appear that the latest update to the Retrospect Server (ver 7.5.285) seems to finally address this issue. I have not had to restart the clients on our servers since the update (which was about two weeks ago).

Thank you, EMC (finally!!).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived