file filter

i have two B2D scripts that generate hundreds or even thousands of errors/warnings each time they run. most of the errors are related to a folder that is an ever-changing area that does not need to be backed up. that folder is named "procjob".

i created a filter that excludes files and folders that contain procjob, but that didn't work

then i created a filter that excludes files and folders that contain *procjob*, but that didn't work either.

then i created a filter that excludes files and folders that contain E:\TrueflowWork\procjob, but that didn't work either.

here is one example of the different errors/warnings i get that i am trying to eliminate. (other types of errors come up on this folder besides -1101, and i'll be able to get rid of all these errors/warnings if i can get this filter to work.)

File "E:\TrueflowWork\procjob\pj060427-00001\Work\pj060427-0000100009\PortableJobOut\report\": can't read security information, error -1101 (file/directory not found)

i know this particular error means the file was there when cataloged, and now it's gone. i'm just trying to exclude this folder from all backing up whatsoever. any advice? thanks.

Hi.

I don't understand what you mean by "B2D scripts", but I try to help out anyway.

Is this on a client? Then just open the Client app and exclude the folder (in the Access pane).

If this is a local backup, you should be able to exclude the folder if you built the selector (filter) correctly. Try starting by duplicating the "All files except cache files" selector and go from there.

By the way, you must not only create a working selector, you must also USE IT in your script(s).

Regards

Lennart

B2D is backup to disk. the backup goes onto a hard drive packed away in files named AA000000.rdb, AA000001.rdb, etc. D2D is disk to disk where it's basically just like doing an XCOPY (you see all of the files in the same directory structure on the target drive).

we run retrospect server 7.5 and the client is installed on the source machines. the client has very little in terms of configuration options. 99% of config is done at the server, including file filtering.

here is the current filter that is not working:

rff.jpg

i also tried the filter strings "procjob" and "*procjob*" and they didn't work. i still get the following errors (by the hundreds)

File "E:\TrueflowWork\procjob\pj060427-00001\Work\pj060427-0000100009\PortableJobOut\report\": can't read security information, error -1101 (file/directory not found)

didn't work.

here is what happened.

i tweaked the filter as follows:

rff3.jpg

but still got the several hundred of the following errors (here are few examples):

File "E:\TrueflowWork\procjob\pj060428-00082\": can't read security information, error

-1101 (file/directory not found)

File "E:\TrueflowWork\procjob\pj060428-00082\Documents\": can't read security information,

error -1101 (file/directory not found)

File "E:\TrueflowWork\procjob\pj060428-00082\Documents\RUNLIST-1\": can't read security

information, error -1101 (file/directory not found)

File "E:\TrueflowWork\procjob\pj060428-00082\Documents\RUNLIST-1\-406617908\": can't read security information, error -1101 (file/directory not found)

File "E:\TrueflowWork\procjob\pj060428-00082\Public\": can't read security information,

File "E:\TrueflowWork\procjob\pj060428-00082\Public\org\": can't read security

File "E:\TrueflowWork\procjob\pj060428-00082\Record\": can't read security information,

File "E:\TrueflowWork\procjob\pj060428-00082\Record\org\": can't read security

File "E:\TrueflowWork\procjob\pj060428-00082\Record\ReplaceResource\": can't read security

File "E:\TrueflowWork\procjob\pj060428-00082\Record\WorkTicket\": can't read security information, error -1101 (file/directory not found)

(and so on...)

any suggestions?

Hi cummings-

The errors indicate that Retrospect is unable to read the 'Security Information' for the files.

We're not actually attempting to backup the files themselves. I can see how this would be confusing. While Retrospect can exclude files/folders selectively, it cannot selectively exclude permissions.

We backup NTFS permissions separate from the files, and it's an 'all or none' situation. If you do not wish to see these errors you can turn off the option to backup security permissions. This will only affect the copy of file permissions - folder permissions will always be backed up regardless of whether or not the option is set.

If turning off NTFS permissions is not an option, you can ignore these errors in the log. It is not possible to suppress them.

Hope this helps!

Amy

Hi,

Basically, this is only a concern if you have specific permissions set at the file level.

If you have permissions set on these files for only specific users or groups to access them, this security information will not be backed up and therefore after the restore, anyone will be able to access these files.

As AmyJ mentioned folder permissions will always be backed up by default.

Archived