Retrospect 6.5 and os x - slow network

Lirria

HI all -

I am currently backing up an OS X client (Intel Imac if it matters) from an XP computer to disk and am noticing extremely slow network response from the Mac (speeds from the Mac 60mb/min speeds from the other XP computer 250mb/min) these computers are all on the same network, clients are all the current clients, systems are all patched. The Mac just seems to fall off the network after a time during the automated backup (but it worked fine for a manual - go figure). Any sugestions are appreciated.

Lirria

Hmm thanks - that's just lovely - they use to support mac backup to windows - guess for some reason the Intel Macs just don't work the same. I see it's saying 6.1 client - I only have the 6.0 client for the mac - Can I get the new client (and will it work with 6.5?) from the downloads? (just download the 6.1 and see if it works maybe?)

If this doesn't work - any thoughts on a backup solution for a mixed client network?

thanks!

Lirria

Quote:

they use to support mac backup to windows - guess for some reason the Intel Macs just don't work the same.

there has been a lot of speculation about this in the Macintosh forum. FWIW-->EMC Insignia has said that this will be fixed in a future release. also, i do believe they still support Mac backup to Windows, there is just a problem with the client on Intel Macs.

Quote:

download the 6.1 and see if it works

it's worth a shot. if you try this please post your results for others.

Quote:

any thoughts on a backup solution for a mixed client network

no. besides the Intel issue it works better than any other in my experience. others may chime in if they have advice....also, you could try backing up an Intel machine through filesharing. i have not seen any alerts about doing the backup that way.

OK - I downloaded the 6.1.122 client and installed it at least the backup didn't time out - it was a smidge faster (83mb\min) and completed normally. The automatic backup I have ran with out a hitch so yeah!! I can live with it being a little slow. Is 7.5 faster or should I wait for the 8.0 version (which will hopefully fix the Intel Mac issues?)

thanks for the help!

Lirria

Just wanted to throw in an update here -

Retrospect is supported on Intel Macs with a few known issues as of April 10. The following is directly from the mailing list announcement:

Known issues when running Retrospect on the Intel Macs:

-When a volume being protected by Retrospect is renamed in Mac OS X,

Retrospect assumes it is a new volume instead of an existing volume.

Backup Scripts will need to be adjusted to protect the new volume.

-Running the CD/DVD Custom Configuration utility can sometimes cause

Retrospect to slow down and use a high percentage of the CPU. The

slowdown is not consistently reproducible on all computers.

-Retrospect CD and DVD Backup Set members do not mount on the desktop.

To eject a Retrospect-formatted disc, go to Configure>Devices in

Retrospect or press the Eject button on the keyboard after Retrospect

has quit.

-Disaster recovery by booting off the Retrospect Product CD is not

supported.

-External hard drive backup buttons are not supported.

-Backing up an Intel-based Mac to a Windows-based Retrospect backup

server is not supported.

Foster - thanks for the info - unfortunately that's what I"m doing - backin up an Intel mac to a windows retrospect server - I need to find out if that is supported under 7.5 or if I have to wait for the next update.

thanks!

Lirria

hi all,

I am running wi ndows 2000 server.The system was running very slowly, after a reboot the Retrospect software is requiring a license, when the license is re-applied the system no longer remembers scripts and settings

any idea

Buteau

Archived