Error 203, hardware failure

I have had Retrospect5 running fine on new Yamaha CDRW (yes it is compatible) for about a week = came down today and found message = "trouble writing media, 42-daily backup, error 203 - hardware failure"

I followed onscreen instructions, opened CDRW, closed it = waited, message came back 'catalog is out of sync, select tools, repair update' and so I did that == all appears fine now

was this a hardware foulup I should be paranoid about or was it just something that happened because the catalog was otu of sync? I started up the backing up again and all is fine, so far=

I'm not sure what to think about the "hardware failure" error - I get similar errors with my Yamaha CDRW drive, using CD-R disks, under Mac OS X, but I don't get the same errors under Mac OS 9 with all else being the same. In my case, I'm pretty sure it's a problem with Retrospect and Mac OS X, since I've eliminated all other variables.

I can tell you, however, that the "catalog out of sync" error was caused by the "hardware failure" error, and not the other way around. Every time you get an error that stops the backup (like "hardware failure") you will get a subsequent "catalog out of sync" error, which needs to be fixed before the backup will continue. That, in itself, seems fairly harmless. Retrospect just needs to update the catalog, at which point it can go on without a problem, assuming there aren't any real hardware problems.

Oh, and as a P.S. - Dantz will ask you for more details about your hardware and software before they can give you a relevant response. They'll want to know what model of CDRW drive (from Retrospect's Configure > Devices > Device Status window), its firmware version (in the version column of the Device Status window), its interface (SCSI, firewire, etc.), what computer model you're using and its speed, what OS you're running on your computer, the exact version and build of Retrospect that you're running, and maybe what brand of CD-RW disk you're using.

Thanks for your helpful thoughts. I am running Retrospect 5 and OSX10.1.4 on an iMac and accessing a Cube..... I bought a compatible CDRW -- Yamaha specifically = listed on Dantz site as compatible = as CDRW2100FXZ== it shows up on the Retropsect screen as Yamaha CRW2100E whatever that means, ver 1.0N and driver Yamaha CDRW1.50 --- I did a recatalog and it said then (according to the log) === "Trouble Reading, 42 daily backup (254017536), error 206 (drive reported a failure: dirty heads, bad media, etc.) and then on another recatalog it did fine and backed up....I think === I'm trying again to see what happens....

You're using the same drive as me, with the same firmware. And you're experiencing the same problems I have experienced.

I posted the following information in a different thread recently, but I was actually thinking of this thread when I wrote it, so don't think I'm crazy when you see that I've posted this same thing twice. ;-)

I'm guessing you're using CD-RW media? I couldn't make these errors stop, trying a few brands of CD-RW media. I'm now using TDK 16x or higher (can't remember the speed, but it's as fast or faster than this CD-RW drive's fastest write speed of 16x) CD-R disks, per a mention by Dantz on this forum that "...on MacFixit.com, Yamaha recently reported that their drives don't work well with Kodak, Memorex, and Maxell media. They suggest Sony, TDK, or Verbatim."

I'm trying to find a reasonably-priced package of 10x or higher CD-RW disks to try, but haven't found any that are high-speed, one of the recommended brands, and anything close to affordable. The search goes on. :-)

I don't think there's such a thing as a CD-R drive anymore. ;-) The CD-RW drive wasn't what made me think that you were using CD-RW media; the errors were, since that's what seems to cause a lot of the errors I get.

You might want to try another brand of media, but I realize how frustrating that can be. I don't really know what else to think....Maybe a Dantz representative will have some more thoughts?

Good point on being more specific =

I'm using Mac OSX 10.1.4 on a new 800mhz iMac (flat screen),

the Yamaha model is a Firewire CDRW -- Yamaha - CDR 2100E, ver 1.0N, driver is Yamaha CDRW (1.50)....

no addon card is being used, I am using Retrospect 5.0.201 licensed etc.... Memorex CD-R says its 700MB/80minute but I don't know anything about speeds and I don't see any label that says otherwise....I can get other types but don't wnat to do so unless I can be sure of what will work = as it is I'm very much pissed off that I had to buy a second FW drive because Retro allegedly wasn't compatible with what I already had...

In reply to:

I bought a compatible CDRW -- Yamaha specifically = listed on Dantz site as compatible = as CDRW2100FXZ== it shows up on the Retropsect screen as Yamaha CRW2100E whatever that means

You're right, the Yamaha 2100FXZ is listed as compatible with both Macintosh and Windows versions of Retrospect. That can be seen at:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=compatibility_list_detail&id=788

But that's apparently not the drive you have!

If your drive shows up as a CDR 2100E then the page at:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=compatibility_list_detail&id=787

states clearly that this drive is _not_ qualified for Mac OS. Where did you get the information that your drive was the FXZ version?

On the "Backup Hardware Compatibility List" page of Dantz's website is a link that reads:

"To determine which mechanism is in your drive, please see our Configure Devices tutorial."

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=tutorial_cd1

In reply to:

I'm very much pissed off that I had to buy a second FW drive because Retro allegedly wasn't compatible with what I already had

What is the drive in your Flat Screen iMac? I remember that when the Macworld Preview of Retrospect came out (on the same day as the new iMacs were introduced) the drives were not supported, but I thought that the shipping version of Retrospect 5 did have support for new iMac drives?

Dave

"You're right, the Yamaha 2100FXZ is listed as compatible with both Macintosh and Windows versions of.... But that's apparently not the drive you have! ... If your drive shows up as a CDR 2100E ... Where did you get the information that your drive was the FXZ version?"

I believe your information is not correct. I also bought a Yamaha 2100FXZ. It came in a box with that label and with a manual titled with "CRW2100FXZ" on the cover. When I downloaded the latest firmware update for this drive, the accompanying Read Me file mentioned that the drive will show up in the firmware updater as "2100E".

To top it off, just now I've looked in the manual that came with my Yamaha drive, where it says the following on page 30:

"Your CD writing software will show a device name, YAMAHA CRW2100E, which corresponds to the CRW2100FXZ drive (product name)."

I'm hoping Dantz knows this???

I don't believe there are alternate versions of the Yamaha 2100FXZ drive, since the manual simply gives that model number, and mentions "CRW2100E" in all of its support material for the drive, not as a possibility, but as the norm. So I think Dantz must have tested and approved this model, with this mechanism.

If your drive shows up as a CDR 2100E then the page at:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=compatibility_list_detail&id=787

states clearly that this drive is _not_ qualified for Mac OS. Where did you get the information that your drive was the FXZ version?

I specifically and clearly ordered it as FXZ version.... I'm reporting this to my vender...will check back

they sold me the FXZ and sent the E - see the receipt below....

ItemNo Qty Price SubTotal Item

CDRE-661042 1 $175 $175 16X10X40 YAMAHA 2100FXZ FIREWI ..

I am now doubly ticked....thanks for noting this for my attention....

No! Please read your Yamaha manual, and my earlier posts in this thread with more details. Yours is the 2100FXZ, and, as the Yamaha manual says, it will show up in software as "Yamaha 2100E".

Please, this is important. I would hate for this misinformation to spread, especially since this is a very popular drive.

In reply to:

I believe your information is not correct

Information? I have no information! I was going only by the information provided in the original posts and my digging on the Dantz website.

Remember that Retrospect reports the information that the drive sends to the OS. If the 2100E and 2100FXZ are in fact the same drive (just with different interfaces) and the FireWire version is listed as qualified (note that it's listed as qualified for 4.3 in the chart, and the user is using 5.0) then it looks like the website has the potential to be confusing!

Dave

I'm sorry, Dave (I assume I should call you Dave? ;-), I thought your response was official from Dantz, for some reason. I know there's nothing to indicate that; it was just confusion on my part. My mistake. :-)

note that it's listed as qualified for 4.3 in the chart, and the user is using 5.0

I thought that when I first looked up this drive, as well. But then I realized it's approved for both. If you read more of the details, it says, for Mac OS, "Minimum Version: 4.3" and below, under "Required files on Macintosh OS 7.x through 9.x: Retrospect 4.3 and 5.x" (emphasis mine).

When I was first looking up this drive, researching it before I bought it, I wasn't sure if this meant it was approved in OS X, which I'm running. But after looking up numerous other firewire CD-RW drives approved for Macintosh, I became fairly sure that, in their database, Dantz never mentions a drive as specifically approved for Mac OS X, but they do approve several with Retrospect 5.x. From what I can tell, that implies that a drive approved for Retrospect 5.x is approved in OS 7 through 9 (or whatever they specify) and OS X. They should definitely add specific OS X information to the database, and more clear information about Retrospect 5, at least once they have the current mess surrounding backup in OS X sorted out.

Just to reassure anyone who is still not convince this is an approved drive, IrenaS (from Dantz) posted in these forums the following information:

"Yamaha CRW8824FXZ

Yamaha LightSpeed CRW2100FXZ FireWire

OWC FireWire Yamaha 16x10x40

Yamaha CRW2200FX/IX

Yamaha CRW3200FX/IX"

"These have all been shown to work fine under OS X."

If the 2100E and 2100FXZ are in fact the same drive (just with different interfaces) and the FireWire version is listed as qualified (note that it's listed as qualified for 4.3 in the chart, and the user is using 5.0) then it looks like the website has the potential to be confusing!

I agree it's confusing. However, Dantz has addressed that in these forums as well. Another quote from IrenaS of Dantz:

"Keep in mind that FireWire CD drives are almost all ATAPI or SCSI drives that ship in a case with a FireWire bridge that make them into FireWire drives. If that's the case, they may be using a mechanish that we support, but a bridge that we haven't tested."

In this case, the Yamaha CDW2100FXZ is a drive with a mechanism they support (CDW2100E) and a bridge that they have tested and support. So at least in this case all the parts are coming together. Everything in this drive is supported, including the combination as a whole.

Now, to figure out why it isn't working well, at least in some instances. (In my case, in OS X.)

I have a Yamaha 2100 FXZ firewire CD-RW and this is how it shows up in Retrospect's Configure->Devices->Device Status window:

FireWire-A Yamaha CRW2100E 1.0N Yamaha CD-RW (1.50)

It works fine with Retrospect Workgroup 5.0205 on my B&W G3/450 and MacOS 10.1.4.

FWIW this Yamaha has a sticker on the bottom that indicates it was made in Feb. 2001.

That corresponds with what I've found out. :-)

My problems with the drive aren't too bad. I am getting backups that I can use for full restores - I've tested that. But I do have some problems, which you can read all about if you care to by clicking on my name and then clicking on "Show all user's posts".

The information posted by Robbins is correct -- the Yamaha 2100FXZ drive will show up as the 2100E in the Device Status window. The FireWire version of this drive *is* supported.

If you are having problems, try a CD-R medium from the recommended list: Sony, TDK, or Verbatim.

• 1 month later...

I hate to restart the thread but despite being assured by Dantz people ref. the purchase of the Yamaha listed on the Dantz site as compatible (CRW2100FXZ) I have been having continual Error 203s and Error 206s (hardware failures) and when I asked Yamaha specifically about this got the following response ===

m: "CDR Tech"

To:

Subject: Re:

For MAC OSX:

OS X is not supported yet, and expected to not work at this point. We are looking into this and hope to be able to include it in our supported OS's when it is determined to be compatible. You will need OS 9.1 for us to troubleshoot this issue.

We support getting the drive to work as a reader in OSX but not as a writer. The built in recording software like iTunes and Disc Burner in OSX is not supported by us, you will need to check with Apple for support in their recording software.

I relied on Dantz site to tell me what burner to get since it said my other burner (a Que) was not compatible = and then I got it and now it wont' work reliably.

I relied on Dantz site to tell me what burner to get since it said my other burner (a Que) was not compatible = and then I got it and now it wont' work reliably.

I did the same, and I share your frustration. At this point, I have no faith that this drive will ever work properly with Retrospect in OS X. I can only hope that Dantz and Yamaha together will come up with a solution, somehow....

I have at least a small amount of satisfaction in that this drive works very well for me with Retrospect Express in OS 9, now that I have settled on TDK 12x CD-R disks. Also, I recently tried Verbatim 10x CD-RW disks, and have so far found them to be reliable, also in Retrospect Express in OS 9. Add to this that my desktop G4 had a hard drive failure, and I was fully backed up and have successfully restored my data to another hard drive. So, for what it's worth, this drive does produce the desired results in OS 9.

Unless Dantz and/or Yamaha come up with a solution for OS X, I will probably continue my backup plan in OS 9 for a while, until I find a good deal on a truly approved (and proven) drive that will do what I need.

Archived