new mailboxes not showing up

Hi,

I am using Retrospect 7.5 with Exchange 2003 sp2. I backup the server via a client. I am backing up the whole mailbox container. The new mailboxes aren't showing up unless I highlight the mailbox containers and login again.

I left it with the mailboxes not showing and hoped they would appear in the backup, but they did not.

Any ideas as to why this happens?

Best wishes

Michael

Hi Michael -

Can you be more specific about what you're doing and what you see? Is the Exchange Server and mailboxes greyed out at this point? Are you releasing the license or just re-specifying who to login as? Do you have the same problem backing up the Exchange Server - or just the mailboxes?

Under what account is Retrospect running? Go to Configure > Preferences > Security. Is it running as the logged in user? As a specific user? If a specific user, what level of permissions does that user have? What groups does it belong to?

When you login the Exchange client what login option are you using? RBU or Domain Authentication?

Thanks,

Amy

Hi Amy,

The backups seem to work absolutely fine. It backs up all the mailboxes without error, except the ones we have deleted. It backups up the information stores no problem. I am using the domain admin account to run Retrospect as a specified user and to login in to Exchange. I didn't think it would work that way as the admin doesn't have right to each mailbox, but seems to work??

All I do is click on the key at the top of the page. The credentials screen comes up, I click ok and the list of mailboxes is refreshed with the new users, but they weren't backup in the last backup.

The client was setup using the client password setting when it was installed.

Best wishes

Michael

Hi Michael -

What should be happening, if the Mailboxes Container is your source, is Retrospect will poll the client and find any newly added mailboxes and back them up. The same polling behavior will also occur when you go to Configure > Clients > Properties > Volumes. Retrospect will go out an poll the client machine and find any new mailboxes. We don't poll the client unless there is a request/need to do so.

If you go to Configure > Clients > Properties > Volumes what option is selected for Client Sources? Do any new mailboxes show up at that point?

Also, the domain admin does have the proper permissions to correctly backup Exchange - mailboxes and server.

Thanks,

Amy

Hi Michael -

I've just finished testing this in a number of different ways and could not reproduce the problem. New mailboxes were grabbed each time I ran a backup of the mailboxes container from the client.

Is there anything non-standard in your setup? Different storage groups? Are the mailboxes initialized and do they have mail in them? Are they in the global address list?

Was this an upgrade from an earlier version of Retrospect? If so, what version (ie: 6.5, 7.0, etc.) Try temporarily removing your configuration files Config75.bak and Config75.dat from:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Retrospect

Launch Retrospect, enter your license code(s) and license Exchange on the client. Create a new mailbox and see the same behavior occurs.

Amy

Hi Amy,

The users do show up in the global address list. The only thing is our first storage group is called Thunderbird1.

I believe Retrospect was an upgrade. It was from v7. I will do what you ask and try remaking the scripts.

The only thing I did notice was that the Exchange servers had 7.0 clients on them to start with, but they are now up to 7.5 clients.

Best wishes

Michael

I have remade the scripts from scratch after binning the prefs. It has fixed some errors with a mailbox that was previous showing up as a -3405 scanning incomplete. I am still getting -3422 errors on my public folders and new mailboxes are still not updating automatically.

The clients have been on 7.5 for awhile before I redid the scripts yesterday and that hadn't fixed it either.

Best wishes

Michael

Hi Michael -

I'm not familiar with error -3422, and I didn't see mention of that in your prior posts. What is the associated error text?

What, if any, error information is listed in the Windows Event Logs corresponding to these backups?

Thanks,

Amy

Hi Amy,

I just thought I would mention those errors in case they were relavent to the issue. I also get one -3407 unexpected provider on one account. The event log only repeats what appears in the Retrospect log. The -3422 says, can't read, error -3422 unknown.

But basically my new mailboxes still don't show up without me refreshing the list manually.

Best wishes

Michael

I see... Hate to say it, but I'm out of ideas. Actually, the only other thing I can think of would be to test with a different user account. Try making an account specifically for use with Retrospect - a user that is a domain admin, is listed in the global address list, and has been initialized.

If this doesn't work I'd suggest giving Technical Support a call. If the problem turns out to be a bug in the software your support costs will be refunded.

Thanks,

Amy

• 3 weeks later...

Archived