lockup/freeze

tloser

I am having a major problem with Retrospect 4.2 - I have been backing up a network of several Macs daily and suddenly one of them will no longer backup. Retrospect kicks off and backs up its first machine properly but then it goes to a G4 Powerbook (which *had* been backing up without a problem)...

Retrospect goes through the drive on the G4 scanning for folders and files (approx 20k and 60k respectively) and then shows the little "9 cell box with scanning block" icon for a bit and then the icon changes to the "arrow" icon. At that point nothing happens - the machine is locked up (with the exception that the mouse will move but nothing responds). I have considered the possibility that Retrospect is calculating what it needs to do and for which files but I have left the backup machine untouched (and running only retrospect) overnight and it never re-awakens. The only way out is a hard reboot of the machine. No log info at all. Retrospect has 24 Meg to play in. A change to the G4 is that I installed System X. Yes, I realize I cannot back up in System X but I have rebooted into System 9.2.2 and am not using X at all.

I have no problem connecting to the G4 Retrospect client directly with Configure:Clients menu and it does appear to be scanning for folders and files during a backup attempt.

Suggestions?

Archived