Recovering restore points

schoenae

Hi!

I'm back with the same problem as earlier... story made short:

1) Started to do a comprehensive backup, but then I decided to stop the backup process.

2) Express HD started to recover disk space after I deleted the stopped restore point

3) after the recovery was done, my restore points were missing

4) Software tried to do the backup maintenance immediately but it gave the assertion error arc.cpp-1593. It gives that everytime I try to rebuild the catalog.

So I have 12 restore points missing with 200GB of data. I've tried to update both express hd to 1.1 and the .net. Also deleted the catalog file but the backup maintenance gives that error... Last time I got it running by copying the catalog file elsewhere and pasting it later back. This time express hd got to try the maintenance before I had a chance to backup the catalog file, so the old file got overwritten...

Is there any recover software or something that could build the catalog back?? Else than Express HD, since it doesn't seem to work...

unfortunately, the changing of config files didn't work... frown.gif

Also, I changed the catalog file to an older one to get hold of some older files. That catalog file doesn't have the newest restore points, so I don't want to keep that one. It worked for about 8 hours. after that the restore points reset themselves again... frown.gif so again back to 0 restore points...

And the backup maintenance still gives the same error. I also made the diagnostics of my Maxtor with no reported errors of any kind... tongue.gif

Hello Schoenae.

I'm a little confused at to what is going on. You said that this did not work, but you also stated, it worked for 8 hours, could you please clarify. Also you mentioned that you changed the catalog file and that catalog file doesn't have the newest restore points. Where are you getting this second catalog file?

Also how much free space do you have on your external Backup drive?

Thanks,

RetroRespect

sorry for being a little unclear... here's the point:

I had earlier (about a month ago) backuped my previous catalog file, which contained about 10 restore points. By replacing my current catalog file (0 restore points) with that file I got to see the 10 restore points. So THAT catalog file worked for about 8 hours after which the system showed 0 restore points again. I made two restores during that time.

But I still have 2 restore points missing totally. Those that I backuped within the last month. So I have still my month-old catalog file on my internal HD which works for a while. But I do need those missing two...

I have about 150GB free on a 300GB Maxtor Onetouch II

Hello Schoenae.

Thanks for the info. I was reading the first post you wrote and you said that you tried to update to express HD 1.1. We need to verify if indeed you have HD 1.1 installed.

You can find out by right clicking the red square in the systemtray and selecting about retrospect Express HD.

Also if you delete the catalog file from the retrospect restore points folder on the external drive, the next time you launch retrospect it will attempt to to read the backed up data and rebuild the catalog file.

If retrospect does not come up with any restore points, the Backup may have become corrupted, in which case may not be accessable.

There are however a few more things we can try, but they are a little more in depth and I suggest calling technical support to walk you through.

You can reach technical support at 800 225 4880.

Thanks,

RetroRespect

Hi,

My Retrospect Express HD is the version 1.1.126

As I said earlier, I've tried deleting the catalog file, but after trying to build the catalog it gives the error I mentioned above. assert error at arc.cpp-1593

I haven't found anything of that error... would the assert log be of any help?

Would there by any chance be a possibility to skype as opposed to calling? As I live in Finland, the call costs could rise quite high... grin.gif

Hello.

Do you have a retrospect restore points folder on your local c:?

If you do, rename this folder to some other name and try doing a catalog rebuild again, by deleting the catalog file on the external drive.

If you don't have a retrospect restore points folder on your local c:, then go to the external drive drive retrospect restore points/retrospect/RestorePointx/1-RestorePointx/

and MOVE thwe the first 2 files- AA000000 and AA000001 to the root of your external drive.

Now try to delete the catalog file and relaunch retrospect to rebuild the catalog file.

-RetroRespect

Hello Schoenae.

You should not have stopped the catalog rebuild. It can take several hours, especially if you are using usb 1.0. Keep in mind that when rebuilding the catalog file retrospect is building an index of all the data that is backed up, and in your case it is about 150GB of data which is alot!

So you will need to delete the existing catalog file again, and launch retrospect, and let it run, all night if needed. I have seen this process take up to 10-15 hrs, depending on the speed of your system and how much data is being re-catalogged.

Regards,

RetroRespect

Hi again,

I left the backup maintenance running all night this time! smile.gif

At the morning, sadly there was nothing new. The same error popped up again... frown.gif

I wonder what else could I do... I think I could try to rebuild the catalog on another machine! Maybe it's something in my system?

Hello. The problem appears that your backup is corrupted. The only thing else you can try is to keep moving one more .rdb file out of the the backup to the root of your external drive, like you did before and try to do the catalog rebuild again. Last time your moved the ffirst 2 .rdb files, AA000000 and AA000001. Now move the next .rdb file AA000002 to the root and try the catalog rebuild. There is no way to tell which or how many .rdb files are corrupted, so it is trial and error.

-RetroRespect

ok... I'll get back to you in about a month! grin.gif

I have 128 .rdb -files, so moving them one at a time takes a little while. Is there no software to test these files? Are the other retrospect software more resistant to getting corrupted? I'll gladly pay some money not to let this happen again...

Hello Schoenae.

You can click on the first link below and download 7.5 pro (45 day pre-licensed trial) and install.

http://www.emcinsignia.com/download/PZ531A0075

Then open 7.5 pro, clcik tools, repair catalog, recreate from disks, select all disks, open my computer, open your external drive, open your retrospect restore points folder, then click ok, then click ok again, retrospect will ask "are there any more disks in this backup set", say no, clcik save, then wait until the catalog file is rebuilt.

Now clcik on the link below to download the User's guide for 7.5 which will tell you how to do a restore.

http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=8333&p=2

Thanks,

RetroRespect

Yeahhhh!

Got it working! I downloaded the 7.5 pro version and tried to rebuild the catalog. It ran for 15hours, mostly trying to resynchronize 2 files. So I checked the knowledge base and there was suggested that if it resynchronizes for a long time, you should stop the rebuild.

So I did that and tried to locate the backup file which contained those two corrupted files. I found it using the log that the rebuilding process kept. So, I'm now missing that one 600MB file, but I'll gladly give that one away...

So thank you very much for the pro-version! It worked fantastically!

Thank you for you great assistance! Wonderful customer support! appl.gif

Now I just need to decide wether it's the 7.5 pro -version that I want to buy... I haven't found a place to buy the software from Finland yet...

After a laptop hard drive crash and the usual reinstalling of software, I could rebuild the catalog (using the delete and restart method) only through the first 24 restore points. However, I recall the corrupted catalog file saying I had 42 restore points, although I couldn't access them. Furthermore the restore only runs through 11/3/2005 and I have restore points into 3/2006.

I followed this thread and downloaded the 7.5 pro version, trying to use the tools to rebuild/repair, but it says it can't find anything. My question is whether this strategy works for Retrospect Express HD, version 1.0.196?

Any suggestions.

Hello stone.

How much free space do you have on your external drive? If your external drive is running out of space HD will groom out old restore points to make room for new backups/restore points.

Try download loading the update for HD 1.0 before you jump to 7.5. The update from HD 1.0 To 1.1 can found at the link below. Then perform a catlog rebuild.

http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=8153&p=2

Thanks

Retrorespect

Archived