Error 3714 Some log or patch files are missing

I'm getting this error when performing a differential backup after a full backup. I'm not using circular logging, I've never used circular logging. So far since upgrading to v7.5, this software has not worked right, and I haven't been able to do a differential backup. I'm running Server2003 Enterprise, ESE2003. The Retrospect Server and Client software is a fresh install. I completely uninstalled it all, rebooted, then reinstalled and reconfigured from scratch. Anybody have any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi -

Can you check the Windows Event Logs to see it there is any additional information corresponding to these backups?

In another post you stated

Quote:

I'm getting an error that says "Trouble reading files, error -3694 (An incremental backup cannot be performed when circular logging is enabled)"

I don't have circular logging enabled... I never have.

Is this still the case also?

Can you make a new storage group, for testing purposes, and see if the same errors occur on differential backups?

Thanks,

Amy

Well I called tech support, and the tech said to check the account under which the backup was running. The account I was using had the correct permissions, but it didn't have an exchange mailbox (as the documentation said it should). Even though it didn't make sense to me why adding a mailbox would fix logging errors, I added one... and that fixed it!

Lesson learned... RTFM!

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I spoke too early, I'm still getting the error. The only other thing I did (as per the tech's request) was to try to run ntbackup, which succeeded. I'm guessing now that running the ntbackup did "something" and let Retrospect run for a bit, but now it's back to the same error, and I'm about to give up on this program.

Hi,

In addition to having a mailbox for that user, the tech should have told you to make sure that user is not hidden from the global address list.

Here's a little supplemental material for reference:

http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=9480&p=2

If it's on an enterprise server you should probably add Enterprise Admin to the other four groups listed in the KB, just to be on the safe side.

When you used NTBackup did you run a full and differential backup?

Hi Foster,

My backup user account is currently set up exactly as recommended. I added Enterprise Admin to the list and went through all the config again, it didn't make a difference, so I took it out so as to be "by the book." So far here's what I know:

> Retrospect Full Exchange backups are always successful.

> NTBackup Full, Incremental, and Differential backups are always successful.

> Retrospect Differential or Incremental Backups will run a few times (1 to 4, it's unpredictable) after doing the NTBackup (either Full, Full + Diff, or Full + Inc). Then they give error -3714.

> Once the Retrospect Differential or Incremental backup fails, nothing will get it to work again except running a Full NTBackup.

I have re-installed everything numerous times from scratch, re-set up all the scripts, backup sets, clients, config, even used new media. Right now, my Retrospect server only has scripts set up to test this problem... there's no other scripts running on it, so there are no conflicts.

Beers to anyone who can solve this.

• 4 months later...

I'm getting the same thing as well, running a full NT backup solves it for "some" period of time but eventually returns to the same issue (failing during differentials). This started occurring when we migrated to a new server and also upgraded to Enterprise Exchange, before that I had never seen this issue (In 3 years), and I have NEVER used circular logging.

Here is the event log details when the differential fails.

-Information Store (2560) First Storage Group: The file C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\E00047C1.log is missing and could not be backed-up.

-Information Store (2560) First Storage Group: The file C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\E0000000.log is missing and could not be backed-up.

-Information Store (2560) First Storage Group: The backup has stopped with error -569.

I don't know where it gets log file name "E0000000.log", and log file "E00047C1.log" is totally there!

For what it's worth here is a dump of my checkpoint file during the state of failure.

C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\bin>eseutil /mk "C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA\E00

.chk"

Microsoft® Exchange Server Database Utilities

Version 6.5

Copyright © Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Initiating FILE DUMP mode...

Checkpoint file: C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA\E00.chk

LastFullBackupCheckpoint: (0x0,0,0)

Checkpoint: (0x4FCF,1A00,0)

FullBackup: (0x4F3E,8,16)

FullBackup time: 10/03/2006 23:58:52

IncBackup: (0x4FCE,8,16)

IncBackup time: 10/04/2006 11:56:00

Signature: Create time:05/31/2006 17:17:10 Rand:605241830 Computer:

Env (CircLog,Session,Opentbl,VerPage,Cursors,LogBufs,LogFile,Buffers)

( off, 352, 17600, 2492, 17600, 500, 10240, 229376)

Operation completed successfully in 1.0 seconds.

I've been dealing with Retrospect's "Issues" since v5.6 and this could very well be the last straw... crazy.gif

Hi Guys,

So it seems that Retrospect is unable to read these logs for some reason or another. Do you have any other applications running that might access or modify these logs? Scheduled backups with NT Backup? Exchange-specific antivirus? Anything that might be tangentially related?

Warner, if you're still checking the forums, can you confirm that you're seeing these same errors in your log pointing to specific exchange log files?

Most definitely not, no scheduled NT Backups and the only AV is Trend ScanMail, but nothing that would even touch the logs or change the checkpoint file. I don't even run a local AV on the server as I've been burned before with it resetting the folders it "doesn't touch" and then it finding viruses in log files and then quarantining them before they've had a chance to be committed to the DB, which can lead to a corrupt DB.

Also, I'm assuming the last full backup of Retrospect somehow wrote incorrect info to the checkpoint file, then when it tries for the differential it can't find those log files??? I dunno... I'm assuming it has something to do with a full Retrospect backup as a full NT Backup clears it.

Now that I say that "Out Loud" let's look at the Event Log for the last full Retrospect backup...

Hmmmm! Everything seems fine till it gets to the tail end...

-Information Store (2560) First Storage Group: Starting the backup of log files (range C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\E0004F39.log - C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\E0004F3D.log).

-Information Store (2560) First Storage Group: Deleting log files C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\E00047BF.log to C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\E0004F3A.log.

-Information Store (2560) First Storage Group: The backup has been stopped because it was halted by the client or the connection with the client failed.

Looking up that error at the end..

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=810333

As I said this is a newer system and I haven't had any controller errors, the online defragmentation hasn't resulted in errors so I don't believe the DB is corrupt, and I do run GFI ME essentials that has an event sink, but I ran the same version on the last system w/Retrospect that worked fine for 3+ years... So that leaves this interesting quote..

"If you can successfully back up the information store by using the Windows NTBackup program, this may indicate that a problem exists with your back-up program." :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Anyone offical care to reply? I've about had it with this product. I've put up with it's "quirks" for the past 6 YEARS. I actually negoiated the NFR copy I use today (v6.5) through Dantz a few years back. However I don't even want to try and obtain a newer NFR copy, I'm actually willing to PAY for something else. That's how frustrated I am with this product...

My experience with this error is that is happens occasionally after moving the Exchange data to new storage/hardware. Something was not migrated correctly and is causing the Exchange API's to report back that not all files are available. You reported that the log files in question are there, but there may be a problem with them. Have you tried doing a Log backup rather then Differential to see if the results are any different?

You can also try enabling advanced logging to see if any additional information is generated.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/1de0a383-c8c8-4b25-89b5-f5e2d9267cc2.aspx

Start with enabling MSExchangeSA and MSExchangeIS

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't try a log backup, but even with a full backup I get this message, and then the error afterwards..

Information Store (2400) First Storage Group: Deleting log files C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\E00096D0.log to C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\E0009A2D.log.

Information Store (2400) First Storage Group: The backup has been stopped because it was halted by the client or the connection with the client failed.

However, if I perform a full NT backup and then an IMMEDIATE Retrospect backup it generally works fine. Or if I perform a Retrospect full backup (which generally fails) AND THEN perform another full Retrospect backup IMMEDIATELY afterwards, it generally works as well.

When you say "Something was not migrated correctly", what do you mean? I simply moved the mailboxes over to a new a new clean server.

• 8 months later...

We had a similar problem. Full backup ran but log backup gave us an error for one of the stores. To resolve we switched on circular logging (then restarted the Exchange Info Store Service). Left it like that for an hour then switched off circular logging (andrestarted the Exchange Info Store Service).

Then ran a full backup and then the log backups run ok.

Not the exact same problem but might be worth a shot

• 1 year later...

Is there a final solution for this problem available? We just migrated Retrospect to a new hardware and since this migration we got this error. Tried already everything what was suggested in this and other threads without any success. Out problem is exactly the same as others:

1. Full Backup works without any problems.

2. Inkr. Backup does not work with the following error message:

T-10:>>>HrESEBackupGetLogAndPatchFiles(0c8000232) -- Some log or patch files are missing

T-10: >>>HrESEBackupOpenFile(0c8000232) -- Some log or patch files are missing.

Error reading files, Error -3714 (Some log or patch files are missing)

As I said, tried everything on this and other threads without any solution. Any more ideas?

Retrospect runs on a FSC RX100 Server, W2K3 SP2, Retrospect Version: 7.6.1.101

SCSI Controller: Adaptec 29160LP ("newest drivers from adaptec")

Backup Device: Tandberg Data LTO2 Storage Loader.

Ideas are greatly appreciated.

kind regards

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived