ATTO Express PCI UL5D + G5 Dual 2.7 (tiger) + Retro 6.1.126 + Sony AIT-3 Library

research question.

looking for confirmation that this package of componants and software will work.

the EMC/Dantz website does not indicate that it supports the ATTO UL5D.

or can another card be suggested that is a MAC/PCIe.

thanks to all who have any advice. I appreciate your thoughts!

If it helps any, the ATTO UL4D (and UL4S) uses exactly the same driver and firmware files as the UL5D, and the UL4D works fine on our Xserve G5 (10.4 Server). I suspect that the UL4D and UL5D appear the same to the software, and it's just a difference in the bus interface chips. We were having issues with Apple's BTO dual-channel SCSI card (really, an LSI Logic 22320, rebranded), and all of those issues disappeared with Retrospect and with the OS (wouldn't see all devices on every reboot) when we switched to the ATTO UL4D. ATTO is pretty much the supported standard recommended by everyone. You might give ATTO a call.

Russ

Russ, thank you very much!. Unfortunaltly the UL4D is a PCIx type and not the newer PCIe type needed to fit in the G5 I would like to use. I did call ATTO and was told: "Just Remember: PCIe = UL5D, PCIx = UL4D". I currently use ATTO UL366 in a MDDG4 and UL4D in an XSERVE and have no problems. Now I would like to upgrade and once again must wait for EMC/Dantz to get their act together. I went through the same thing when OSX came around. I'm tired of not being able to use the latest hardware. I was hopng that the purchase of Dantz by EMC would improve the product. No such luck.

Quote:

Unfortunaltly the UL4D is a PCIx type and not the newer PCIe type needed to fit in the G5 I would like to use.

I thought I stated that in my answer when I said that it's just a difference in the bus interface chips (PCIe vs. PCIx) on the ATTO card. Your question seemed more directed at whether the card would work with Retrospect, which is why I pointed out that Retrospect would be seeing exactly the same driver and firmware from ATTO that it does on the UL4D on an Xserve G5, where the UL4D works fine. Your question didn't seem directed to whether the UL5D would work on a PCIe bus - that's something that Retrospect never sees, and would be a question only for ATTO. Don't see how purchase of Dantz by EMC could ever affect whether an ATTO PCIe card works on a PCIe bus. Are you just confused, or do you just want to gripe, or are you really looking for help?

Archived