Device driver crashes trying to do remote backups

dpawson

We have a home network with a few machines. Windows XP box acting as the backup host, doing networked backups of all the other clients. As far as I can tell, the server is using the most up-to-date 6.5 Professional software, with the relevant client using the most up-to-date version 6 client software. The problem is a new host that we added to our network. An XP box. We wanted to do a full backup of this box. Bought a new external hard drive to do so. But when we tried to do the full backup (~80 gigs or so), the backup server rebooted. Upon coming back up, it became clear it had received a STOP signal in some device driver, crashed, and rebooted the box. Figured it was the new hard drive, so returned it, got another, and... same behavior. This led to a ton of experimentation and such, in which I found it did the same thing even if I backed up to the external hard drive we had previously been using for backups. So I do not believe this has to do with the new drive anymore. Other experiments showed...

- Other hosts can back up successfully onto the new disk

- The problematic host can copy large amounts of data manually to the new disk

- The backup host itself has 40 gig or more to back up; it can run a full backup to either disk successfully

- Backing up the new host piecemeal worked quite well for some time, but eventually replicated this problem when we added some large-ish folders. Those folders had been excluded from backups earlier when the problem was experienced, so I don't believe there is some property of those folders in particular causing the problem.

I put all this together, and it feels like my problem occurs when I do a networked backup of "a lot" of files. It occurred to me that all the other backup clients have < 20 gigs of data except the backup server itself, but the backup server itself is backing itself up to local storage. So this may be the first time we've tried to back up 20 gigs or more (with corresponding number of files) across our network.

Thoughts? Ringing any bells? As is, we still haven't managed a full backup of this new client, and we've inadvertently crashed the backup server 20 or 30 times.

Thanks in advance...

Yes, this rings a bell, but unfortunately I don't have a solution. Using retro 7.5, I'm trying to do a full backup of my xp backup machine and a client xp machine. About 9 hours into the backup, XP crashes with a blue screen. Some of the details on this screen include:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Technical Info:

STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x00000E38, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xA53E1D4B)

symidsco.sys - Address A53E1D4B base at A53C3000, DateStamp 43c473b4

I'm no expert, but based on this error message, I'm suspecting something in Symantec Norton Antivirus or some other part of Systemworks is the culprit, since "symidsco.sys" is one of Systemworks' files. I'm trying to resolve the issue via e-mail with Symantec, but I fear it won't get resolved. dpawson, are you running Symantec antivirus or internet security on your backup machine?

The interesting thing is that the crash only occurs when I try to back up lots of stuff (a full backup...100 GB on the backup machine, plus 60 GB on the client). The crash doesn't happen when I run incrementals of about 600 MB total for both machines. I think the backup is close to completing when it crashes, but the log file is unavailable from the Retrospect GUI when I reboot and try to see how far it got. However, I'm pretty certain it finished backing up the backup machine successfully since the snapshot and session are listed in the Backup Sets; the client backup is not.

Anyway, I'm as stuck as you are. If anyone has suggestions on what to explore to resolve this, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Rob

Veeeeeery interesting.

So the way my PC is configured, I've never actually seen the blue screen. But the parameters to the error I'm getting look quite similar to yours. I see error code 100000d1. Parameters 1 through 3 exactly the same. I do run Symantec on both the backup server and the client in question. It only happens if I do a full backup. The fact that it seems tied to the network might well fit in with the idea of it being antivirus related.

Perhaps this weekend when I get my patience up I'll disable Norton long enough to try a backup.

Yahtzee.

You piqued my interest, and I'd fought with this so long, I had to try. Installed AVG anti-virus, disabled Norton. Tried to backup the troublesome machine, and voila; worked the first time.

So I think we are pretty darn sure we know the culprit. How to proceed is a fine question.

Glad to hear you got the backup to work. What exactly did you do to disable norton? I tried "Disable Auto-Protect", but my backup still crashed. Did you uninstall Norton, or leave it installed and change some of its options?

Rob

Running Retro 6.5Pro on three XP machines - hard-wired network.

I have recently (in March 2006) started experiencing a reboot of the backup machine when trying to do a full recycle backup of client machines but NEVER when backing up the backup machine. Backup is to an external Seagate USB hard drive. Had never had a problem until early March. Initially, problem was just with one client then became both clients.

This problem was only experienced on a full re-cycle backup. Normal incremental backups ran fine.

I found that if I backed up the clients to an INTERNAL hard drive on the backup machine, all was OK. But backing up a client to the external drive would ALWAYS result in a spontaneous re-boot of the backup machine *near the end of the copying from client process*. Would just re-boot - no error messages at crash, no blue screen, no messages upon re-start). Occasionally, one of the clients (a desktop - the other client, a laptop never did this) would crash and re-boot prior to completing the backup and before the backup machine re-booted; in this case, on restart, client would indicate it had recovered from a serious error caused by a device driver - I updated all device drivers with no impact on the problem.

I had tried eliminating all unessential tasks running on both the backup and client machines EXCEPT Norton Worm Protection (I disabled the Anti-Virus) with no change in the problem.

Then I found this thread and, since turning off Norton Worm Protection on the backup box, I have been able to repeatedly run full recycle backups of the clients with no crashes on either end. THANK YOU!!!!!

I am not sure if something changed with Norton in March or if the problem was always there and it only manifested itself once the size of the backups reached a certain threshhold (around 14-15GB on each client). The fact that one client experienced it shortly before the other could just be a difference in when in when a Symantec update was installed or could be related to when they hit a certain backup size.

I will endeavor to get this info. to Symantec but I do not have much faith in their responsiveness. Wanted to share it here for what it may be worth.

At last! Its not just me.

I have been discussing this with Symantec support since I had the same problem (Retro 6.5 doing recycle back-up of client computer to USB HDD on backup computer - running OK for many months - now Blue Screen's with STOP 0x00000D1 symidsco.sys), in early March.

Despite the fact that, like you, I can get the problem to go away by disabling Worm Protection in NAV 2005, Symantec have not acknowledged this is an issue with NAV.

Seems a bit rich if the only solution is to ditch Norton and buy AVG or another AV solution - especially as I have justy renewed my subscription!

Please post back to this forum if you get anywhere with Symantec and I will do likewise.

Got the automated response from Symantec when I submitted this to them - said I should have a response from them in 2-3 business days.

That was on 4/5/06. So far, no further signs of interest received from them. As expected. I think the last time I actually got a useful response from them was in the last millennium.

Last time they advised me to add Retospect as an exclusion in Worm Protection options of NAV - no effect! They also close the call every time they give you a 'solution'

btw - found that it isn't only recycle backups. After the last crash I ran a normal backup of the client machine and that crashed the server with the same error. Backups (recycle or normal) of the server work fine, but I guess you would expect that if it's the intrusion detection part of NAV that has a problem.

Sounds like Norton's gotta go....

Just shut-off the Worm Protection in Norton. No need to replace it. If you have a good firewall and Anti-Virus, the Worm Protection probably just adds needless overhead anyway. I'm not concerned about having it permanently disabled. The regular anti-virus auto-protect does not seem to interfere.

Quote:

Just shut-off the Worm Protection in Norton. No need to replace it. If you have a good firewall and Anti-Virus, the Worm Protection probably just adds needless overhead anyway. I'm not concerned about having it permanently disabled. The regular anti-virus auto-protect does not seem to interfere.

Take your point, but there are other reasons for ditching Norton - abysmal support, resource hungry apps and 'updates' that even Symantec admit cause blue screen errors (the last but one Sym Event update)-like all these things its a matter of taste, and the alternatives are probably just as bad - but I think I'd like to find out anyway. Thanks for the help.

I got a simillar response - then one that said 'this can happen when other applications are running during the backup' - oh yeah? it never used to do, so how's that for an upgrade! Lost all faith in Symantec now but carrying on the dialogue to see how bad they get. mad.gif

I can verify that the Norton's Worm Protection has been the root cause of several problems I've experienced (though not with Retrospect) since they first introduced it with their AV product. First thing I do now is turn it off, and when my current licences run out, I'm planing on trying something else.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem with my backups crashing. I disabled the worm protection and unselected remote backup and it completed the backup without crashing. I'm going to reselect the remote sources and hopefully it will complete successfully.

Thank you for everyone posting to this thread.

Archived