Why does Retrospect Server Suck So Bad?

I apologize for the title, but I'm at wits end when it comes to Retrospect 7.0. The email comes in that there's a major bug fix to Retrospect 7.0, especially concerning grooming, and I should upgrade to 7.0.12.105 ASAP to get those fixes. As I'm relying on grooming, I make the huge mistake of upgrading and all hell breaks loose. The release notes say to recreate your catalog if you're relying on grooming. Makes sense, so I do. Unfortunately, I run out of disk space because recreating the catalog takes over 10GB, which I didn't have on the disk, so now my catalog is (sorry for the language as there's no other word for it) completely [censored]. Thanks for the warning that I have to have more space than the source code for the damn operating system free to do what should be a simple operation.

I try two more times to recreate the catalog to disks that have loads of space and Retrospect looks like it creates them. The reality is that the catalogs are worth a pile of warm [censored].

Oh well, I figure I'm completely [censored] over and from scratch recreate the "Disk-to-Disk-to-Tape Backups with Retrospect 7 for Windows" instructions. My bad for actually attempting to upgrade. I delete everything, Proactive scripts, managed scripts, disk sets, everything associated with my old system that worked before the "upgrade" and start completely from scratch.

Think that would work? Ha! I must have been on major crack. Now that I've recreated everything from scratch, the damn Proactive backup will *NEVER* start. It just sits in the Deferred state permanently. I have it set to backup between 12 midnight and 8AM but not matter how many times I start and stop Proactive or recreate everything from scratch *AGAIN* your program will not do a backup. Kind of difficult to call your self a backup program when you refuse to do a god damn backup.

Do you all test this [censored]? I'm a software developer myself and I've beginning to wonder if you all actually thought about actually using this steaming pile of crap. What the hell am I supposed to do now? I've followed all your damn instructions (over and over and over) and the software is simply sucking up GUI space. Don’t tell me that I have to reformat my server and reinstall because I demand a refund because of your complete lack of testing. What the hell can I do here?

If you are offended by my language here, too bad. I've had major problems with Retrospect from the beginning and could never get Proactive backups running correctly without actually killing RETROSPECT.EXE and restarting it every night before it ran: (http://forums.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=64999&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1). Now you're spamming me about upgrading to 7.5. Why don't you get your [censored] working before asking me for more money?

Archived