Linux client support

I really like what I have seen so far from Retrospect. But for me to totally switch over to using this product, I really need to be able to back up Linux machines as well. Any thoughts on adding Linux support? I don't think my situation is atypical these days - I have Win98, WinME, Win2000 Pro, Win 2000 Server, Win Xp Pro, and Linux machines on my network. And I am really looking for a solution that addresses all of those.

• 2 months later...

Retrospect 6 does a great job of backing up Linux machines! We've been using the beta of 6 for a couple weeks (I ordered our full upgrade today) and our RedHat 7.3 server has been backing up reliably to tape every night. I don't know if they changed this in the full release, but you have to make sure the firewall is turned off during the backup. My Linux guy set up a cron job to shut down the firewall for the duration of the backup, then turn it back on when it's done (we figured out the time frame after our first nightly backup).

In any case, I'm in a location using Windows 95-Windows XPPro, Linux, and Mac OS 9.x- OS X workstations. I'm backing up EVERYTHING (including my NT4 and 2000 servers) from my Windows 2000 server without trouble now.

Archived