Grooming Backup Set Backup Set failed, error -1101 (file/directory not found)

danv

Hi

I am using Retrospect 7.0326 for Windows Server 2003,

I am getting a grooming error that says:

"Grooming Backup Set Backup Set failed, error -1101 (file/directory not found)"

So I go to the server and I see a dialog saying ...not enough disk space... I did check and there is plenty of GB free in the External USB drive, but I forced the backup set to groom anyways. I tried both grooming policies but I get more email error messages. Over 100, so I cancel that job.

Here is the error email:

-------------------------------------

Script: Retrieve Snapshot

Date: 3/21/2006

Trouble positioning: "Backup Set" (35209383), error -102 (trouble communicating)

---------------------------------------

In the Backup Logs (History or Events ) I get the same error repeated with "AA000402.rdb"

---------------------------------

+ Executing Retrieve Snapshot at 3/21/2006 10:34 AM (Execution unit 1)

From Backup Set Backup Set...

Additional error information for Disk Backup Set member "1-Backup Set",

Can't read to file G:\Retrospect\Backup Set\1-Backup Set\AA000402.rdb, error -1101 (file/directory not found)

Additional error information for Disk Backup Set member "1-Backup Set",

Can't read to file G:\Retrospect\Backup Set\1-Backup Set\AA000402.rdb, error -1101 (file/directory not found)

Trouble reading: "Backup Set" (56250093), error -102 (trouble communicating)

------------------------------------

Any advice?

Thank in advance.

(1) Is there a way to groom backup sets of specific files or file types. In this case, I'd like to go back and remove from a backup set on disk, all the files of type *.tmp, which presently consume about 780 MB and should not have been backed up to begin with. Files beginning with "~" would also be okay to remove, in my opinion, in my environment.

(2) When grooming occurs, why does the progress feedback line indicate "Executing Retrieve Snapshot" and so on, and "Restoring to ...." ? This was very unsettling, indicative of programmers who have been using their product so long that they forget what it looks like to newbies (to their product). Initially I imagined that I had accidentally clicked on some Restore menu choice and just about *****??!* (died). Frankly, I'm not sure why "Restoring to ..." anything is an appropriate message. What _is_ going on when this displays?

Thanks,

Didrik

Hi Didrik,

(1) There is no way to groom specific file types from the backup set - grooming removes data based on snapshots (see (2)). What you can do to rid yourself of this bloat is perform a transfer of data from one backup set to another utilizing the "Selecting" option. You can use the existing "All Files Except Cache Files" selector or create a customer selector to exclude these file types from being transfered.

(2) When you perform grooming, Retrospect retrieves all the snapshots from the backup media (if they have not been already) in order to determine what snapshots and corresponding data need to be deleted.

For example:

A backup every day for 30 days of just the local C: drive will yield 30 snapshots of C:. If you select the grooming option to "Groom to remove backups older than 10" and initiate grooming, Retrospect will retrieve all 30 snapshots in order to determine which 10 are the most recent. Then the first 20 snapshots will be removed from the backup leaving only the most recent 10. In addition to this, any data corresponding with removed snapshots and not with retained snapshots will also be removed. So if you have a program that you uninstalled on the 5th day of the backup, that program will no longer be present in the 10 retained snapshots, and therefore it will no longer be in the backup.

Foster,

Thanks for that help.

Then, I'm thinking that if I have everything in one Backup set (inherited and brought forward from Retrospect Express, then recataloged), I should make sure I have enough disk space for both the source and destination sets at once.....correct? That would be about (270 GB times 2) minus the 900MB of *.tmp files = 539 GB. Hmmmm....

Regards,

Archived