Extremely Long Snapshot

I am running Retro Server 7.0 on MS Windows 2003. I am also running Retro Backup 6.0 on Mac OS9. When doing the same incremental backup from the same Source Volume (60G/ 300,000 files) one to tape (Mac to LTO) and the other to file (2003 Server locally) the backup to file takes 14X longer. The backup to tape takes 30 minutes, the backup to file takes 7 hours 25 minutes. The log states 1 minute to copy files and 7h24m to write the snapshot. They both have software compression and verification turned off. The 2003 server is a much faster computer. Is this a function of writing to file as opposed to tape? It is a lot of files but why is the Mac so much faster?

Hi Lennart,

Thanks for responding. The total for the volume is 60G / 300,000 files but it was an incremental backup and only a few hundred files were copied which is why the copy was so fast. I didn't actually include that information because that part seemed accurate, it was just the writing of the snapshot that seemed incredibly long. See log below.

Thanks,

Chris

Here's the log:

+ Normal backup using User to File at 3/16/2006 3:29 PM (Execution unit 1)

To Backup Set user backup...

- 3/16/2006 3:29:15 PM: Copying User on Mac2k

3/16/2006 10:54:14 PM: Snapshot stored, 257.3 MB

3/16/2006 10:54:34 PM: Execution completed successfully

Completed: 312 files, 137.0 MB

Performance: 120.8 MB/minute

Duration: 07:25:20 (07:24:11 idle/loading/preparing)

hi chris,

Quote:

I am also running Retro Backup 6.0 on Mac OS9

although this is the Windows section of the forums, i can assure you that Retrospect 6.0 only runs on OS X. your details of the problem are really bad. can you check again?

hi chris,

you said that the 'Source' is the same for both computers. can you elaborate on the source? is it a Retrospect client or a fileshare. or could it be local to one of the computers?

also, is the 'File' of the backup saved locally on Win2k3 or is that somewhere else on the network? obviously the tape is local to the Macintosh.

Hi Walter,

The source is a file share that is not local to either the backup Mac or W2K3. They are both on Gigabit Ethernet but if either station is at a transfer rate disadvantage it would be the Mac.

The "File" is being saved locally to the W2K3 server. It's being stored on a RAID connected to the W2K3 server.

hi chris,

could you try putting a client on the source computer and see if your throughput improves?

one other thing i'd like to test (if you've got the inclination) is to try a "Disk" backup set instead of a "File" backup set. try that and save the catalog to your C: drive.

Archived