URGENT! Cannot restore win2k DC

Hi!

I had some problems with one of the drives on my win2k server DC. I replaced all disks and installed a fresh copy with win2k server.

Did a full restore of the drive. After reboot i pushed F8 and selected "Directory Services Restore Mode"

When it finished i was able to login to windows and retrospect restored further.

After next reboot i get the following just before the login prompt:

"Directory Services could not start because of the following error:

A transaction recover failed.

Error Status: 0xc0000227.

Please click OK to shutdown this system and reboot into Directory Services Restore Mode, check the event log for more detailed information."

Tried the Directory Services restore mode again, without luck.

I can't login after this, i can only choose ok and the server reboots with the same error message.

What can i do to solve this issue?

I'm using Retrospect Multi Server 6.5

Thanks in advance!

Edit: The server has 2 partitions (C: and D:). AD was located in a folder on D: drive. Can this error have something to do with this? If i boot into safemode i can see that there's a folder named AD created on the D-drive after restore.

Mayoff,

Thanks for your reply.

After restore and booting in Directory Services Restore Mode, i can see a retrospect window with checkboxes where it says restoring metadata etc. It completes very fast, in a few seconds. Isn't that kind to fast?

Next reboot in DS Restore Mode the windows doesn't appear. Can i manually redo this option again?

I've tried to restore my DC from the backup 3 times, with no success. Since it takes a while to install a fresh copy and then restore from backup, i really want to make sure it will work this time.

I read the MS article, but i thought retrospect should do it's job for me, that's why i use it. It seems like i can't trust retrospect to restore my backups.

FYI: I hade to revert to my old disks to get the DC up and running again. The problem is that one of the disks is about to fail (scratching sounds). I can't localize wich disk is making the sound. That's why i changed all disks and tried to restore it on new fresh disks.

HELP!

Mayoff,

I'm doing a restore right now. This time i downloaded Retrospect 7.x trial to do the restore. During the restore i got a windows warning message saying something like this:

Windows file protection: Some files were replaced. To keep the system stable you need to put in Win2k SP4 CD to replace the files.

I ignored the message though. Never seen this message before.

Followup:

I managed to restore the DC after 4 tries in total. This time i used Retrospect 7.5 Trial, and not 6.5 that i'm licensed for.

Don't know why it worked this time, but the most important is that it worked.

I'm a little worried though that it didn't worked out as it should the first couple of times. I did nothing special this time beside using the newest version of Retrospect .

Almost everything got up and running as it should, just some minor permission issues to get the iis up and running.

/ Martin

• 5 weeks later...

I have had the exact same problem with version 7.0.

I have not tried upgrading to 7.5 yet as I need the server up and running ASAP and I have been fighting with it all week.

I might try depending if I can recover AD from my second AD server.

This would severely disappoint me with Retrospect if this problem was not ever solved.

I had purchased 7.0 not less then a Year ago and then 7.5 comes out within months. Makes me upset that I had spent the money on 7.0 and to find it has a major problem with restoring AD when it is on a different drive the system drive.

Mine was setup

C: AD

E: System

Archived