Hard Drive vs. DLT for Backup

spam33

Hey Everybody,

I mostly use Retrospect on the Mac, but this is a pretty general question, and this appears to be the most viewed thread.

We do a lot of video and photo editing at our company. Usually when we finish a project, we have a hefty amount of data to archive since our work can be repurposed for other projects and there's always the possibility of client-requested changes. For our backups, I've always used Retrospect and a Quantum DLT 1 to archive onto Maxell DLT IV's.

Recently, I've been exploring other options. The 40gb Maxell DLT's run for about $30 each, so that costs us about 75 cents per gig. I see that Western Digital has just released a series of high-end external hard drives (called "My Book") that are designed for data backup and come in a stylish case that would fit nicely on a bookshelf. The 500gb model costs $350 which comes in at about 70 cents per gig.

So, my question to all of you is, do you recommend a Hard Drive or DLT for data backup? Planning ahead, I would want the data to last a minimum of 5 to 10 years. Also, if I go with the Hard Drive option, I will dump what I need onto that drive, unplug it, and keep it on a shelf next to my DLT's should I ever need to retrieve that data. I seem to be leaning towards the hard drive, but wanted to gauge other's thoughts. Any comments?

Thanks.

Archived