horrible speeds on 7.5

jrosebrook

I got better speeds on the client and server on 7.0. Updating both the server and clients to 7.5 cut my speeds. To make sure it wasn't hardware, I went back to 7.0 and my speeds went back up so I know it's definetly a 7.5 problem. According to EMC support, we aren't the only ones having this problem. I was looking to see if anyone else in this forum is having the same issue.

Sorry to repeatedly ask, but when you say go back to 7.0, are you reverting both the server and the client? I'm trying to pinpoint whether it's something in the client that's causing the problem or the server. The results I'm interested in are the speeds from a 7.5.251 server backing up a 7.0 client.

Hello, I´m new to Retrospect. I started with 7.5 Server and 7.5.111 Client. Backup speed was about 10 MB/Min. After looking for help and installing 7.0 Client the backup speed was about 257 MB/Min. (Server-Version still 7.5) So there maybe a problem with the client. I´m waiting for the next update...

• 2 weeks later...

I also have HORRIBLE and UNUSABLE client speeds after upgrading to RPro 7.5 from RPro 7.0 just 2 days ago. I upgraded to IMPROVE all the countless problems I have had with Retrospect 7 Pro.

My Host and Client PC's are speedy CPU's with latest XP machines. The Host is a Dual-Pentium 3.2 (2 HT cores = 4 threads), 2 GB RAM, USB2 Backup Drives. The Client PC is a 2+ GHz Pentium with 512K. Both are LAN connected @ 100 Mbps.

With 7.0, Client backup ran 180 to 240 Mb/min (30-40 minutes).

With 7.5, Client backup run at 12 Mb/min (10 HOURS). Yes, 16 times slower!

My PC, network, and Backup Set configurations have not changed since 7.0. After upgrading, the client backup config was only missing its schedule which I reset.

And, yes, I've reboot everything incuding my network equipment. No change!

What gives!!! I no longer can perform my most important backup!

Just tested Host_7.5 / Client_7.0. It's 12 Times FASTER than 7.5/7.5 but 20% SLOWER than 7.0/7.0. Here's the sped results for 3 combinations of Host/Client versions.

Host Client MB/Min Speed Bar
7.0 7.0 200 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX smile.gif
7.5 7.0 140 XXXXXXXXXXXXXX ooo.gif
7.5 7.5 12 X frown.gif

Details: Re other comments here, I de-installed RPro 7.5 Client on Client system, re-installed RPro 7.0.109 Client, then ran 2 test backups.

The test backups were 133 MB and 432 MB respectively. In both case, they only reached about 140 MB/min. That's about 12 times faster than 7.5/7.5 but 30% SLOWER than 7.0/7.0.

So, I concur that 7.5 Performance is DEFINITELY BROKEN! Most of the speed detriment damage seems form the Client while some seems to be in the host.

Other aspects of my configuration I didn't mention before and which have NOT changed since before 7.0 are as follows:

Backup Set Security: Password Only

Software Compression: ENABLED

Catalog Compression: ENABLED

Detailed Compare (not MD5): ENABLED

Encrypt Network Traffic: disabled

(scratching head) What was the reason to upgrade again? doh.gif

Quote:

Has anyone else seen a major performance drop since installing 7.5? We were previously getting about 400MB/min on our slowest servers to 700MB/min on our faster servers. Been on the phone with Dantz several times changing everything from MD5 to creating new config files and have had no luck.

I'm using 6.5, but I've noticed that, at least since an update in late 2003, Retrospect writes very fragmented backup files.

Also, performance of any backup program is going to be affected by the degree of fragmentation of your source drives and te backup drive.

Try using a 3rd party defragmentation tool.

At this time, Perfect Disk is clearly the best.

Quote:

Try using a 3rd party defragmentation tool.

At this time, Perfect Disk is clearly the best.

Good thought but, alas, that is NOT the issue in THIS thread which is about the speed of 7.0 vs. 7.5 in the SAME SCENARIO and run within hours of each other. Regardless, I have a regularly scheduled defrag so the client is less than 1% fragmented!

The 7.5 Client is clearly and completely unusable, DOA, Kaput! I mean it's SIXTEEN TIMES slower than 7.0 just-OK speed. That's about 12 HOURS (with the necessary compare) for my typical daily INCREMENTAL backup (about 5 gigs of the total 200 on the traget!

Thanks

Quote:

please install the 7.0.109 client.

I did just that and posted a performance table based on combinations of Host and Client versions. See my previuous messages. The 7.0.109 client definitely works better than the 7.5. But still not as fast as Host 7.0 and Client 7.0.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem. Terrible performance. But in my case it's even more weird...

The performance decreases over time.

The drives I back up are all the same SATA II drives and have the same speed.

The performance usually starts with 2000GB/min and then gradually decreases to a crawling 200-500MB/min after a couple of hours into the backup.

I can't figure out what's going on here. Don't think I had this problem on V7, but I didn't do many backups on this system (has been installed only a couple of months ago)

No client involved. Backups got as File direct to a dedicated SATA II 500GB drive.

2x Dual Core Opteron 270 | SuperMicro H8DCE | 4GB ECC REG DDR400 RAM | 8x SATAII drives | ATI V7100 PCIe | Apple 30" | Magma 7-slot chassis | WinXP Pro SP2

I've had moderately worse performance with the 7.5 client at the start of the first backup after a boot, which degrades with time until the 7.5 client software totally locks up (crashes) the client requiring a hard reset and reboot of the client to recover.

Reverted to 7.0 client with 7.5 and things work smoothly

Not clear whether the intial performance difference is 7.5 client or host related, but the performance decline and crash is clearly client related. The client is clearly not usable in its current state.

Just purchased 7.5

Found the backup speed unacceptable (10mb/min)

Found this thread (after some searching) and downloaded 7.0.xxx client.

Backup speeds now acceptable.

However, the "last access" time of each backed up file on the client gets changed to backup time.

I have not found any reference to this in the manual, nor (so far) online. Microsoft has documented functions for opening files in "backup" mode, which shouldn't affect the modify time. Even if it did, the documentation states that if you really arent modifying the file you should use 'updatefiletime' function and set the access time back to what it was before you got there.

Anyone know if the 7.5 client preserves the access time (like it should)? I haven't the heart to upgrade the client again until the speed improves.

(BTW: Speed of backup, when using disk-disk-tape, [7.5 server <-> 7.0 client] seems to be mostly dependant on the CPU speed of the 'server' machine. Apparently it is spending its time calculating the MD5 sum digests over the files. CPU usage goes to 100%. When backing up a stream of smaller sized files the speed slows due to new file processing overhead or perhaps client opening file time)

Archived