Exchange - full backup; logs not truncating

khodge

This information is similar to my last thread. Sorry to be redundant, but I think I might have two problems and that the error message might be a bit of a red herring, so I thought I'd post again under this title, for the log files not truncating portion of the problem and maybe catch people's attention who may be able to help, but wouldn't have been attracted to the previous subject line [where I still need help, on why I'm getting an error in the log, that may have to do with problems verifying the backup.].

Anyway - whenever I do a full backup of Exchange, either as part of my nightly backup to tape or a job that is just to backup the information store to file, the logs are not truncated. This is a problem, because it has lead to situations where the drive with the log files are filled and Exchange stops operating. If I run a backup using NT backup, then the logs are truncated.

The server is running Exchange 2003, sp1 on Windows 2003 sp1. It has 1 GB RAM. The information store is about 23GB. I can back up the information store with NT Backup. The information store data files are on the d drive and the log files are on the e drive. I am currently backing up with the 7.0 version of Retrospect, but also had this problem with the 6.5 version.

Here is a sample of the log backup:

2/7/2006 10:10:01 AM: copying First Storage Group on server

2/7/2006 10:10:01 AM: Connected to server

Backup type: Full

Trouble reading files, error -1018 (not enough memory)

2/7/2006 11:22:33 Am: Execution incomplete

Remaining: 1 files, 28.0 GB

Completed 2 files, 28.0 GB

Performance 395.3 MB/minute

Duration 01:12:31 (00:00:06 idle/loading/preparing).

Thanks!

Hi

With an error like this it isn't suprising that the logs were not truncated. That would only happen after the backup completed.

How much free space is on the system drive of the computer running Retrospect? 2GB or more is best. Make sure that drive is defragged as well. Can you watch memory usage on the machine when you run the backup? How much physical RAM is allocated to other processes?

Note that full backups do not truncate the log. You need to do a log/incremental backup for that.

Thanks

Nate

Archived