Sign in to follow this  
Mayoff

7.5 Clients

The latest 7.0 client never worked well for me on RedHat 9.0. The client (apparently) has a memory leak that causes it to crash during large backups. There are threads about it on this forum...

Is there a separate 7.5 client for SuSE?

7.0 never worked for me. I opened a ticket but never got a response. It was referred to "the linux expert" and I disappeared.

Dan

So frustrating...

The new 7.5.111 Redhat client still exhibits the same crash bug as the older 7.x. The client daemon process seems to die during backups, throwing the following error:

SThreadSpawn: pthread_create() failed with error 12

Verified this on several of my RH9.0 servers.

I'm at the end of my rope... I like the Retrospect interface, but I'll need to switch to another solution if I can't get this to work.

Hi

How did you update the client? Did you uninstall and reinstall or push the update from the backup server? Have you tried deleting the retroclient.state file and restarting the client service?

Thanks

Nate

Nevermind, I found the state file. I've deleted it and reset the password with retroclient. Guess I'll see if the daemon dies during the nightly backup.

Didn't seem to help. I deleted the retroclient.state, re-ran the password setup and let the daemon run over the weekend--as before, it dies after awhile.

Linux CentOS 4.3 (~RHEL 4) using volume group and logical volumes.

I installed 7.5 client and it appeared to install correctly, but trying to start client gives me this error:

There is less than 1MB of memory free on /tmp.

Retrospect Client Terminated.

There's plenty of room on / and /tmp, so I don't know what's happening. I deleted the retroclient.state file and that didn't matter.

Environment variables are set properly in /etc/profile.

~Brent

hi norum,

this is the problem with unsupported versions of Linux. unfortunately EMC only supports a limited number of Distributions, i think mostly because the components of each Dist vary so widely. CentOS 4.3 probably has some library that functions differently than the client is written to handle.

if you do figure out a fix, please post it (and your methodology) since i know there are others out there who would benefit. unfortunately, i don't use CentOS (although i hear it's very good) so i can't test it here.

Waltr,

Re: Retrospect Client Terminated (error <1MB memory in /tmp) on CentOS 4.3 (RHEL 4)

BTW, CentOS 4.3 is 100% binary compatible with Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL 4), so I don't think it was a library problem. It finds the "/etc/redhat-release" and installs everything as it should with Redhat.

I got it working by downloading the newer 7.5 Linux RPM client (Mar 2006). I had a first generation 7.5 client (Jan 2006). Don't know if it was the actual client or just re-installing that did the trick. Upon re-installing the client, I did get the "client was installed, but could not be started" message:

Adding RETROSPECT_HOME to system profile and login scripts...Done!

Before attempting to use any of the GUI components of the Retrospect Client,

you must have both the RETROSPECT_HOME and DISPLAY variables set. The

RETROSPECT_HOME variable should point to /usr/local/dantz/client. We have

modified your /etc/profile and /etc/.login files to set this value for future

logins. The retrospect client launched as part of this installation process

will also have this variable set. However, if you kill that client and

restart it without logging out, you will need to set these variables manually.

LSB Version: :core-3.0-ia32:core-3.0-noarch:graphics-3.0-ia32:graphics-3.0-noarch

Starting client as daemon...

Installation was successful, but Retrospect Client could not be started.

If this is an upgrade, please wait 5 minutes, then start the client manually

by running $ /usr/local/dantz/client/rcl start

Press "Enter" to close this window.

I closed window and waited a few minutes, then was able to start "rcl." And, it works from a reboot after putting the start command in my /etc/rc.d/rc.local file.

*update*

Backup worked cool.giflast night--all 6GB worth, so I'm happy. If I get time, I'll install client on another CentOS machine to see if it does the same thing.