Retrospect 7.5 Released

Mayoff

Hi Robin,

Ok, I bite.

I just upgraded my Dantz Retrospect Professional license to 7.0 3 weeks ago. 7.5 is now available, but the system is saying that I need to pay another $45 to get the latest update to 7.5.

Please ... tell me that's a little buglet. You guys aren't actually charging upgrade fees to get 7.5 for a license that was purchased on Jan 19th, are you???

Doug.

• 4 weeks later...

I called customer service and was told that regardless of whether you have Express or 7.0 Pro, the upgrade price is the same. Sure seems like a current 7.0 Pro customer who paid a lot for their software would get a better price for their upgrade than someone that got their Express copy for nothing included with their hard drive. Kinda like getting the same for your auto tradein as the guy that brings in the free toy car he got in his cereal box...... frown.gif

I tried duplicate volume using 7.0. I was duplicating a 200 GB volume onto a 250 GB volume. It failed with an out of space error after backing up about 120GB.

The seems to be a similar known problem for backup, however the workaround does not apply to duplicate volume. Now I am supposed to pay for a new release to maybe get a fix?

Also what is the best speed anyone has gotten backing up to an external USB 2.0 drive?

It took nearly 24 hours to write about 120 GB and an attempted restart which wrote nothing took about and hour.

On a new AMD 4400 PC with an ASUS on-board USB2 port to a USB2 enclosure + Seagate 250G IDE drive. This was for a new Normal Backup (not Duplicate) of the C Drive to a Retro backup on the USB drive.

+ Normal backup using PC1_CDrive_to_U at 3/8/2006 8:00 AM (Execution unit 1)

To Backup Set PC1_C_to_U...

- 3/8/2006 8:00:44 AM: Copying C_Drive (C:)

3/8/2006 8:41:35 AM: Snapshot stored, 73.1 MB

3/8/2006 8:41:40 AM: Comparing C_Drive (C:)

3/8/2006 9:18:34 AM: Execution completed successfully

Completed: 82825 files, 44.5 GB

Performance: 1296.1 MB/minute (1336.1 copy, 1259.1 compare)

Duration: 01:17:50 (00:07:40 idle/loading/preparing)

• 7 months later...

Windows XP Home Edition... SP2

Retrospect Pro 7.5

I keep Retrospect open so backups which I have scheduled can run. Very simple.

Not all the time, but quite a few, when I am trying to review some Retro reports, i.e. log or scheduled or any other, Retro seems to lock up and takes a considerable amout of time to come back. Lock up, meaning thru the Task Manager I can see that Retro is sitting in a state of "Not Responding". It does come back, but I have to wait. What can be causing this problem.

• 1 month later...

anyone who has retrospect 7.0 shouldn't have to pay until the number changes to 8.0

that's my opinion though. it seems if a company has a good product they know a business will buy it and then keep charging for minor updates to the product. it's like contracting out to the military and then ripping them off and then charging the military to fix their own mistakes.

Well, if you looked at the feature list you will see that 7.0 to 7.5 included a bunch of major product changes.

Software developers charge for Major releases and give free updates for minor updates.

7.x changes are considered major, 7.5.XXX changes are minor releases and are always free (X being the change in version number)

Customers can purchase annual support and maintenance so that they don't have to pay for any upgrades or tech support for a full year.

I need help with creating a catolog file for a backup set (I am running windows XP)

Through a complex set of improper computer inputs, I lost backup sets on my western digital external hard drive. I used a software program to retrieve these lost file (.rdb files) and have since reloaded them onto this external hard drive (my computer was also reformatted (not using quick format) and I have it up and running.

My problem is that when I try to recreate a catolog file from the .rdb files, retrospect does not recognize them (I have even purchased the upgrade to retrospect 7.5 in hopes that this might help me). I have the correct search path, but the files don't get recognized in retrospect. I can see them if I go to windows explorer.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can ultimately recover files from this backup set? I am desperate!

• 11 months later...

Archived