Can't eject DVD after backup

I am running Retrspect 6.1.126 on a MAC OS 10.4.4. I'm using an imac G5 as a 'server' to backup our small network of computers. I back up onto an external SONY DRX-810UL-T DVD drive.

Every morning, after the backup has successfully completed during the night, we are unable to eject the DVD. We try manually ejecting from the DVD drive, using DEVICES in Retrospect: nothing works. And, at that point, my computer won't shut down. The only thing we can do is to manually turn off the computer. Once we manually turn it back on again, we can eject the DVD. I can't tell if this is a Retrospect problem, or something I need to change on my computer.

Thank you.

mandm

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Retrospect will often take control of a drive to prevent other programs accessing it during the backup operation. It is possible that this could interfere with the eject command, I know that the eject button on Mac keyboards typically will not work while Retrospect is open. Do you quit out of Retrospect before attempting to eject the disc?

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem with internal drives on G4 Mirror Doors Dual 1 GHz PowerPC and Pioneer DVR-104, DVR-110D drives. I am using DVD-RW (and having other troubles with them), but the problem is the same. The media can be ejected two ways:

1. In Retrospect, go to Configure and select Devices. Highlight the drive and click the Eject button.

2. Fire up Disk Utility, highlight the drive, and click the Eject button.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for your responses. I have tried both options 1 and 2 above, as well as quitting Retrospect. We have decided at this point to purchase a new external drive. Is anyone using an external dvd drive with Retrospect 6.1 for Mac OS X that they particularly like?

Thank you!

Archived