Loosing License/Server association

WRShaw

We have Retrospect MSVP 7.0.326 with 7.0.10.101 with 6 (1 + 5 addtional) SQL agents installed.

We are having a problem with two servers loosing their association with the license.

When you view properties of the client (server) you may see the SQL container but it is now unlicensed and it will ask you if you want to use the available license...

When this occurs the license manager window will state you have 4 used and 2 available.

The tempo of this problem is increasing, it never occurred with 4 agents, we seem to recall it happening with 5 agents installed but with 6 installed it is now happening almost daily. It also appears to be the same two servers.

The order in which our servers have been added to the system is as follows:

SHISSRV4 - NT4 SQL 7 (OK).

OPPDB02 - W2K SQL2K SP3 (PROBLEM)

OPPDB03 - W2K SQL2K SP3(PROBLEM)

OPXIS00 - 2003 SQL2K SP3(NO PROBLEM)

OPPDB04 - 2003 SQL2K SP3(NO PROBLEM)

OPPDB05 - 2003 SQL2K SP3(NO PROBLEM)

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Quote:

Update...

Still having problem even after I dropped all associations (release license from server) and then reapplied.

To be clear, are you saying that you relicensed all servers or just the two having problems? If you relicense all servers in a different order does the same problem still occur on the same servers?

Is the login information the same across all servers or do they have different logins? Are they all on the same domain? Are you having any other communication problems with these two servers?

Hi and thanks for the responses, I'll try to answer both sets of questions.

1). The servers are 7.0.107. 5 of the 6 are SQL 2000 SP3 and one is SQL 7.

The problem servers are our biggest 2K servers and don't know if there is any relationship there.

2)I input the license codes in the same order as they were originally, but they were applied in a different order than they were originally.

We have had several incidents of one or two servers becoming unlicensed but I haven't had the ability to narrow it down, except to say that it is related to backup activity. We ran no backups using Retrospect for 48 hours (weekend) and didn't loose a license. We have only noticed the unlicensing to occur after one or more backups have run.

I'll add more when I have something and I will check back here more often.

Thanks,

Bill

Quote:

2)I input the license codes in the same order as they were originally, but they were applied in a different order than they were originally.

If you can make note of whether the problem is still occuring on the same servers or different servers after the re-licensing that would be very helpful.

The problem is reoccuring on the same two servers, but there is a potential relationship that I have found. I have now gone over 24 hours without loosing a license and the only significant change made was to remove a SQL backup out of our proactive backup and created a scheduled task.

This relationship makes no sense to me, but if we can go another day or two...

Thanks,

Bill

I think we have the association, but I am interested in why.

Removal of the proactive backup appears to have stopped the loosing the license issue.

Here is the history on this problem with a focus on Proactive backup (not normally used for SQL backups).

In the beginning our SQL databases were backed up daily to a NAS device and then finally to tape.

We have discovered an issue not related to Retrospect that prompted us for more frequent backups directly to tape; once per 4 hours to capture start, midday and end of day to reduce our exposure. These backups do not replace but rather augment our SQL backup strategy. Proactive backup seemed to be the easiest way to accomplish this.

We started having random unlicensing issues but didn't see the relationship.

Then we added two SQL servers to this strategy and saw them occur more frequently (once every one or two weeks).

To reduce our exposure of missing a backup, we increased the frequency of the proactive solution. Now our failures came at a more rapid pace, less than a week to fail.

Now we start running deep traces with Dantz support and increase frequency to 1 per hour (per database) and we couldn't make it through 24 hours without failure.

Now that we have stopped the Proactive backup, all is well...

Thoughts anyone?

Archived