reboot loop on c: drive restore

johncassel

I am attempting to restore my C: dive which contains my operating system, program files and registry. Arfter following the instructions on generated by the wizard I restored the drive but now the computer seems to be stuck in an endless loop of rebooting. The computer restarts and then I logon using my password. Then the computer takes a long time to restart and then brings up a Retrospect Helper screen that says, "System Configuration restyored, the computer will reboot when you press OK". The first few times it did this a box in upper left (Retrospect Helper Service) had three line: Uploading Registry, Deleting Temporary Folders, Updating Meta Data. Each time it rebooted the next line was checked. After that the computer rooted and I still get the Retropect Helper message: "System Configuration restored, the computer will reboot when you press OK". I press OK and the computer shuts itself down, restarts and asks me to log on again. Right now it has done it nine times with the same process happening each time. What should I do next?

Two problems that I encountered in the restore were that the hard drive was drive C:, when the Dell onsite tech installed the new hard drive he failed to unplug my data drive (a different drive) so the new hard drive was named F: . Is it possible that Retrospect cannot restore to a drive with a different drive letter that the backed up drive? It would be possible to reinstall Windows with the other drive uninstalled which would name the new drive as C:. Would this make a difference as to getting a sucessful restore?

The other problem is that Restrospect helper was asking for the Windows XP Service Pack 2 CD. Unfortunatly, I had installed SP2 from the web and do not have a SP2 CD. I just ordered a CD from the Microsoft website but the site says that it will take 4 to 6 weeks for the CD to arrive. Is this causing this problem with my restore? Do I need to wait until the Windows SP2 CD arrives before doing a sucessful restore?

Thank you,

John

Retrospect Pro 6.5

Windows XP Home

Archived