Why doesn't Retrospect write 'live' to log file?

meliora

We have a sticky problem with Retrospect 6.5.350 running under Windows 2000 desktop. P3 1 Ghz, 768 MB RAM. We're backing up to a single disk backup set.

We have a script that backs up about 100 computers (takes 8-12 hours), and we've noticed that Retrospect doesn't write anything to the logfile until the *entire* script is done (i.e. all 100 machines). There's also nothing in the 'History' until all completes.

This wouldn't bother me, except that when Retrospect crashes (every few days), nothing gets written to the log prior to the crash, which really screws up our reporting, especially if lots of events have occured since the start of the script, but before the crash.

So, for example, if Retrospect is on the 95th machine out of 100 in the script and it crashes, then when we reboot the machine, the Retrospect logfile has none of the 95 sessions in there - it's as if nothing has happened since the time the script started.

Anyone seen this or know how to fix? Or is this how Retrospect is supposed to behave?

I have encountered similar problems with Retrospect 7.0.326.

Seemingly, when you forcefully shutdown Retrospect during an execution, or when it hangs for this matter, the moment Retrospect is restarted, it does a pseudo execution which doesn't do anything other then closing down the previous execution.

I have no idea how to fix it though cos most of the time that I have encountered this is due to Retrospect crashing during grooming.

Archived