stubborn extra Retrospect taskbar icon at startup

JAD

When I start up my computer, after the start up programs are done loading, a Retrospect task icon flashes on and off at the bottom of the desktop in my taskbar, then reappears and stays. But there is no associated Retrospect window open. I can't click on the task icon to open Retrospect. When I click on it, it just toggles between light blue and dark blue. Right-clicking it does nothing. The only way to make it go away is to open Retrospect with the system tray icon in the lower right corner and then close it. This problem has survived even after an uninstall/reinstall of Retrospect 1.0 and then an upgrade to 1.1

Any ideas would be appreciated. Also, does anyone else have this problem?

I have the same problem - a minimized Retrospect Express HD in the Task Bar (not the Notification Area). This is in addition to the red square in the Notification Area (next to the clock). I've tried restoring and maximizing Retrospect Express HD, but nothing works. Also, when I go to shut down my computer, it beeps at me, because there is still an application running.

The only difference is that I never had this problem Express HD 1.0. It only started when I upgraded to 1.1. But I can't go back to 1.0 because I'm running the .NET Framework 2.0.

Clonester.

Nate

Just as Clonester said, the icon I am talking about is in the Task Bar, next to the other open tasks. I am not talking about the red square in the System Tray.

It appears when I start my computer. It does nothing. Can't be right clicked or left clicked. Only way to make it go away is to right click the red square, choose Open Retrospect Express HD, let it open and then close it. When it opens, it doesn't start a new task bar icon - it just adopts the bad one that is already there. Then I close Retrospect by clicking the "X" and it goes away.

Kind of tedious since I have to do this everytime I boot up. Must be a bad registry item or something? Would you look at a HiJack This log and tell me if the Retrospect items look right compared to normal?

Jeff

I had this problem with 1.0 as well as 1.1, and with the old Net, but it was intermittent and only at start-up. I presume it is something to do with a delay caused by the different programs at startup loading simultaneously (I am on dual xeon + 2 GB ram, so no power problems).

I found that if you exited then started from the menu it was OK.

Tony

Tony

Not sure which is easier, open and close or exit and start again. 'Bout the same. Either way, it is annoying.

I find these Retrospect items in my HiJack This log:

Running processes:

C:\PROGRA~1\RETROS~1\RETROS~1.1\RetroExpress.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\RETROS~1\RETROS~1.1\retrorun.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RetroExpress] C:\PROGRA~1\RETROS~1\RETROS~1.1\RetroExpress.exe /h

O23 - Service: Retrospect Express HD Helper (RetroExp Helper) - EMC Dantz - C:\PROGRA~1\RETROS~1\RETROS~1.1\rthlpsvc.exe

O23 - Service: Retrospect Express HD Launcher (RetroExpLauncher) - EMC Dantz - C:\PROGRA~1\RETROS~1\RETROS~1.1\retrorun.exe

I found these two entries in the following registry key:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

OneTouch

C:\PROGRA~1\Maxtor\OneTouch\Utils\OneTouch.exe

RetroExpress

C:\PROGRA~1\RETROS~1\RETROS~1.1\RetroExpress.exe /h

Could either of these be causing the problem?

Clonester

I too think it might be an issue with simultaneous program loading. It seems to always have this problem from a cold boot, but on a warm boot/restart I've noticed that it is intermittent.

It loads as one of the last items in the system tray on startup. Right when Norton Internet Security is loading which seems to take a lot of resources to load.

How can I change the startup loading order? Do you think that might help?

Jeff

Nate

I had this issue with v1.0 Then I uninstalled v1.0 and re-installed and then updated to v1.1

It has done it all along, ever since the beginning of time.

Are you suggesting that I uninstall and restart my computer and see if the icon comes up anyhow?

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

I get the same thing...you can clear it by calling up the programme and then going to the setup page. Then click the "x" and it should then clear. It seems to have a struggle with my McAfee protection at startup. Works fine though!

Peter - Well since I started this post, I can say at least I feel better that I am not the only one with this issue. I just wish I could find a solution. Every day when I start my computer this non-functioning icon appears and behaves just as I described in my original post. I clear it just like you described, every day, by opening the program and then closing it with the "x".

Nate - it is a Retrospect Express HD taskbar icon. It is a blue rectangle with a red 3D cube standing on its corner with the words Retrospect Express HD in white to the right of the cube.

It is the same icon that appears if I open Retrospect Express HD.

If we assume that this is a startup issue caused by all of the startup programs trying to load simultaneously, does anyone have a solution for that? Can I change the order of the startup programs somehow?

Jeff

Quote:

Hi

Thanks for the clarification.

Are you using a spyware protection program? If so, is it up to date?

Thanks

Nate

Nate,

I'm using Adaware SE, SpywareBlaster, Windows Defender (Microsoft), and Spybot S & D on top of McAfee Viruscan 10 and they are all up to date.

The strange taskbar item occurs usually, but sometimes it will be replaced by a blue item with the One Touch icon in it, that is impossible to remove without rebooting, but as I say, it's usually the Restrospect one which is removable by calling up the programme.

Another thing I noticed. While Retrospect is loading at startup, my McAfee firewall is disabled, just for about 30 seconds.

Hi

I have heard of spyware protection software intefering with all kinds of things. Have you tried selectively starting up without them to see if the problem goes away?

My hunch is one of them is also using .net and causing problems when express HD tries to load.

The Blue one touch icon is part of Maxtor's software. It is not a part of Express HD.

Nate

Quote:

Hi

I have heard of spyware protection software intefering with all kinds of things. Have you tried selectively starting up without them to see if the problem goes away?

My hunch is one of them is also using .net and causing problems when express HD tries to load.

The Blue one touch icon is part of Maxtor's software. It is not a part of Express HD.

Nate

I'll give it a go and see.

I just realised that none of those are set to load with Windows but only when I want to use them. I tried disabling SpywareBlaster as it does load at startup for update purposes only, made no difference.

The problem occurs simultaneously with my McAfee icon turning black and indicating "Firewall Disabled".

Archived