error 3403

rkaye

I am receiving this error on my nightly backups. Accordingto the log, "This is a known problem with Exchange 5.5 running on Windows 2000."

However I am running Exchange 2003 SP1 with Windows Server 2003. A search of the Retrospect KB for error 3403 comes back with 0 articles. Can anyone provide more information about what this error means and how to correct it?

Thanks.

Mailboxes. Here's an example from the log, which I shoould have posted before.

- 12/21/2005 11:26:46 PM: Copying Administrator

Retrospect error code error -3403 (unknown)

Reported by function mlocScan

Access to mailboxes from the administrator account has failed.

Try setting up another privileged mailbox account for Retrospect.

This is a known problem with Exchange 5.5 running on Windows 2000.

Scanning incomplete, error -3403 (unknown)

So it appears to be some kind of rights issue.

Hi

This looks like an authentication error.

Does the Retrospect backup user have a valid mailbox with actual mail in it? The mailbox must be active for it to work. Have you tried using a different user for the exchange login settings in Retrospect?

Thanks

Nate

• 4 weeks later...

Go to Configure > Volumes and right click on the Exchange Server in question. In the right click menu you will find "Licensing" as an option. This will allow you to release the license from this Exchange Server. You can then select the Exchange Server again to re-license it.

OK. I was able to drop and reattach the license. I then tried to set the login credentials to my new RBU user account. It will authenticate with these credentials to the storage DB but the authentication fails when I try to add the mailboxes... <sigh>

Can you take a look in the Windows Event Logs to see if there is any additional information corresponding to the times you attempt to license/backup mailboxes?

Make sure the "RBU account" mailbox has not been hidden from the Exchange global address book and make sure "Hide from Exchange address list" has not been selected for that mailbox in Exchange.

I broke down and called tech support last week anbd finally got this straightened out. After sorting out all the security, I found out that hiding the address, as you mentioned, will prevent Retrospect from authenticating the user account. Hopefully this requirement will be better documented as I don't recall coming across this in the docs. Thanks for your help.

Archived