Password -- Retro says Backup Set is Passworded, but I never set one?!

Has this ever been reported before...

I went to restore some files from my latest backup set. When I did, it asked me for a password. The funny thing is that I am the only person who ever touches this machine, has physical access to it or has the windows password to unlock it and more importantly, I have no recollection of ever setting a password for the backup set. I never set one on any of the others. I've tried every password that I've used (for anything) in the last several years and nothing fits. Is it even possible that I could have done this accidentally? I've read the many disclaimers that if you lose your password, Dantz can't help you. But the real question is, if I could send the back up file to Dantz (on a usb drive), does Dantz have the tools to unlock it?

Signed,

Dazed and Confused

Hi

The only way it would happen is if someone set it. Retrospect can't set a password on its own.

Unfortunately, EMC Dantz has no way of removing the password or recovering the data.

If you are lucky it is set to "save password for scripted access". That means you could run a scripted restore using a schedule to work around the problem.

Another way about it would be to create a new backup set with no password and then schedule a backup set transfer from the password protected set to your new one. Assuming the password has been stored you should be able to copy the backup set contents and then access them in the new set.

Thanks

nate

Archived