problem with quantum (certance) ultrium lto2

Got the UL4S card - seemed to work fine - but had errors endlessly after verification. I had to go through a 20gB backup 13 times before all the files where backed up and properly verified. It also hanged twice (total system freeze ) while locating at start of verification process. If anyone can help? is there a specific config for the Atto that I am missing? I have spent way more than I can afford here to have a secure tape archive, but alas...

Thanks all

Stef

G4 1.42 Dual running 10.3.9

Retrospect 6.1 Driver update 6.1.5.102

Certance (Quantum) 400 HH Tape drive

Atto UL4S Card with latest driver (3.50)

Atto Config: Selection timeout=250, Fallback sync = 40(20), QAS = enabled, Sync rate=320DT IU, Allow disconnect +Tag command q + Sync are all enabled.

Quote:

Atto UL4S Card with latest driver (3.50)

Latest ATTO driver for the UL4S/UL4D/UL5D is 3.60. Current firmware is still 1.50. Unclear if this update addresses your issues. Our UL4D is used with an Exabyte VXA 1x10 1u SCSI with autoloader (much lower performance than your drive), so I don't have your same configuration.

Russ

Thanks for the correction re: driver - I installed it but still get about 10% of the archive back as errors. I just did a test with 200Mb - it took 6 tries before all the files where on tape without any verification errors! None of the files are "in use" or system files - they are all audio files on two seperate SCSI (Cheetah 10K) drives sitting on a separate UL3D.

Thanks for the help.

Stef

Hi Stef,

If all the errors occur during verification you may be having a communications problem at a different location. Do you have a firewire drive you could try backing up to? This would quickly tell you whether or not the problem is still with the UL4 card/tape drive.

I tested it with new media and also archiving the same Source material from SCSI, Firewire and Internal ATA. I archived it to File, to Firewire disk, to DVD+R, to CD and to the Certance LTO2. Everything came up with no errors, except the LTO which had half of the files reported as errors. I tried repeatedly to get them all backed up cleanly and eventually succeeded after 17 times. I just did the same test with another LTO 2 Certance drive (identical and also new) and had similar results. She's not working! I am going to have a good cry and then to sleep! rolleyes3grem1.gif

Hi Stef,

If the same problem appears when going to multiple destinations then the problem may come from reading the source volume. Perhaps there is a problem with the source disk or with the cable. I had one connecter on an ATA cable go out on me recently after nearly two years of flawless performance, so these things do happen. The other connector still works fine.

Hi again! Thanks for the help! - I'm afraid I have hijacked the thread a bit!

I get errors when I try to back up from 2 of the 4 internal ATA drives (2x2 separate ATA Bus) or from the other (UL3D) SCSI chain (2 x 73gb scsi drives each on its own scsi channel). I have reseated the cards, swopped out the ATA & SCSI cables and reformatted the Harddrives -

I copied the files that would not back up to the 3rd and 4th internal drives (which does not give errors) and they back up fine from there - at least that is a temp solution.

These are the errors:

- 6/14/2006 8:21:57 PM: Copying Audio Media 1 73 Gb…

6/14/2006 8:25:21 PM: Comparing Audio Media 1 73 Gb…

File “franci.10”: miscompare at data offset 299,681, path: “Audio Media 1 73 Gb/Homebrew Roer 4 Eps 52 Franci/Audio Files/franci.10”.

File “franci.161”: miscompare at data offset 5285, path: “Audio Media 1 73 Gb/Homebrew Roer 4 Eps 52 Franci/Audio Files/franci.161”.

File “franci.392”: miscompare at data offset 198,949, path: “Audio Media 1 73 Gb/Homebrew Roer 4 Eps 52 Franci/Audio Files/franci.392”.

File “franci.4”: miscompare at data offset 365,685, path: “Audio Media 1 73 Gb/Homebrew Roer 4 Eps 52 Franci/Audio Files/franci.4”.

File “franci.5”: miscompare at data offset 219,161, path: “Audio Media 1 73 Gb/Homebrew Roer 4 Eps 52 Franci/Audio Files/franci.5”.

File “franci.6”: miscompare at data offset 185,701, path: “Audio Media 1 73 Gb/Homebrew Roer 4 Eps 52 Franci/Audio Files/franci.6”.

6/14/2006 8:29:09 PM: 11 execution errors.

Completed: 738 files, 2.4 GB

Performance: 1189.2 MB/minute (1377.8 copy, 1045.9 compare)

Duration: 00:07:12 (00:03:11 idle/loading/preparing)

Thanks for staying with me on this one !!! should I take 2 of the internal drives away - could heat be the problem? The 2 SCSI drives on the UL3D are well ventilated though.

Thanks

Stef

Your tests seem to have pinpointed the errors to these two specific drives, so that's probably the problem. You might investigate whether these drives are giving SMART errors; there are various utilities to check that. But I will toss out another remote possibility, that you might be having an occasional memory error.

Reason I ask is that you say you've got a G4 1.42 Dual (you didn't say Xserve), which doesn't have ECC memory (or even memory parity) so you won't spot memory errors except indirectly if data changes. When we got our Xserve G5 last summer, one of the memory modules would give occasional ECC errors (correctable) whenever we ran Retrospect, which pumps a lot of data through the memory. We replaced the marginal memory module under our Server AppleCare Maintenance, and the problem disappeared. But having ECC memory ensured that the errors were corrected, and the ECC logging told us which memory module was marginal.

Just a thought for you to keep in the back of your mind.

Russ

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

HI,

I seem to be in this boat as well.

I have a Certance autoloader LTO3 machine and the ATTO UL4S card. Retrospect server 6.1.

Now, my question is - If i go ahead a get a seperate G4/G5 to run retorspect ver 6.0, am I going to run into problems trying to restore backup sessions created with version 6.1?? We have a LTO3 that is working quite well - except that it is a single machine, and for nightly backups we fill 400gigs far to fast. So, this autoloader was going into its place. SO it was going into a working setup.

Any help would be appreciated.

Randall

Quote:

I seem to be in this boat as well.

And which boat would that be? You haven't described your issues, and your hardware (UL4S) is different from the hardware discussed in this thread. Our UL4D works fine. There have been some recent firmware updates, too, in the period since the posts in this thread prior to yours. Your post is in response to Grant's (Foster's) post about an ATA cable connector dying. Is that your problem?

Quote:

If i go ahead a get a seperate G4/G5 to run retorspect ver 6.0

Why would you not update that machine to Retrospect 6.1 ? It's a free update.

Quote:

am I going to run into problems trying to restore backup sessions created with version 6.1??

You might if you have ACL metadata. That's one of the things that the 6.1 update was to fix, along with some bug fixes.

Again, why wouldn't you update the separate G4/G5 to run Retrospect 6.1.x? That's what I would suggest.

Russ

I have a (sorta) similar problem with ultrium lto2 and Retrospect v 6.1.126, connected via SCSI - ATTO UL4S on Mac OsX 10.4.9.

The drive recognition is intermittent: sometimes, the LTO is there, sometimes it isn't. I try repair permissions on my system drive and that will get the LTO recognised sometimes, but not always. I'm currently 2 days into constant rebooting with no luck.

Ideas?

Quote:

I try repair permissions on my system drive and that will get the LTO recognised sometimes, but not always.

That would have no effect on LTO recognition. But the rebooting would, because it causes a SCSI bus reset and rescan. When Retrospect doesn't see the drive, does it show up in Apple System Profiler? If not, there's no hope for Retrospect to see it if it's not in the device chain built by the boot process.

Have you tried updating the ATTO UL4S driver and firmware? There have been some recent updates.

Russ

Archived