problem with quantum (certance) ultrium lto2

Hi,

I use a quantum (ex certance) lto2 ultrium tape drive connected via scsi (atto expressPCI UL3S card) to a macosx10.3.9.

I have retropect 6.1 (version 6.1.126) and Retrospect Driver Update version 6.1.2.102.

I can see the quantum tape drive from the "config-->periph" menu, but the tapes never mount. I have a message "loading in progress", the tapes never load (I have tried with different tapes).

The atto driver and firmware are up to date; according to quantum the tape drive does not need extra driver; dantz support say the quantum tape drive is compatible with retrospect; the scsi chain has a terminaison.

What can I do, how can I know what's going wrong ?

Thank you,

Lionel

Hi,

Yes, the ATTO driver is 3.20.

I have no other cable to try with, I asked my reseller to verify they sold the proper cable.

The terminator comes with the tape driver, I think it is all right.

The problem happens with 3 differents tapes I have tried (1 quantum, 2 imation).

In the system.log, I have messages like :

"localhost kernel: ATTOExpressPCIPlus: Bus reset on PCI device 3, function 0" or "localhost kernel: ATTOExpressPCIPlus: Bus reset on PCI device 3, function 1"

I do not know what it means, I am waiting an answer of the ATTO support about these messages.

Thank you,

Lionel

Hi,

I have downloaded the software of a competitor of Dantz, and everything works.

So the tape driver, the tapes, the atto card and the scsi cable are ok.

The problem is in fact a retrospect problem.

I hope they will fix it quickly.

Regards,

Lionel

Hi,

This issue is currently under investigation at EMC Dantz. So far it appears the problems are specific to Atto UL3 + Certance LTO + Retrospect 6.1.126. Other SCSI cards or other versions of Retrospect do not have this issue.

At the moment we can recommend two workarounds:

1)Use Retrospect 6.0.212 when using an Atto UL3 card

2)Use and Atto UL4 SCSI card

We will post more information as events warrant.

Thanks

Nate @ EMC Dantz

Hi,

I use 10.4 so I have no such second option ?

Tried 6.0 6.1 and 6.126 of course, wish I had first.

My God ! Such a pain !

Is there other workarounds ? My boss is getting stressed no backup...

It was working perfectly before with our DLT.

Thanks anyway frown.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I have the exact issue as well. doh.gif

spent quite a bit of time with bothe Dantxz and ATTO.

seems that EMC broke something with the upate.

Neither the ATTO UL3S not rhe 4S card works reliably with the update.

Gettin' pretty pissed seeing a 2K LTO2 boat anchor at this point...

ATTO has been really helpful but it seems that it is a Dantxz issue.

Really frustrating because I selected Retrospect because it claimed compatability with the drive and card.

I've got the same problem.

UL3D + Quantum Superloader 3 (LTO2 Certrance)

It does not work with 6.0.212 and Retrospect 6.1.126. I've tried allmost everything.

G4, Xserve...., Firmwareupdate, Driverupdate. Nothing seems to help.

Should I order the UL4D / or UL4S ? Will a new card be the solution to the problem?

Quote:

Should I order the UL4D / or UL4S ? Will a new card be the solution to the problem?

No. I spoke to the ATTO guys and they stated that this is not limited to the UL3S.

Dantz has acknowledged the problem is with THEIR last update.

I'd encourage everyone to call Dantz and ask when the fix is forthcoming.

I've just run up against this problem as well, retrospect sees the drive but won't mount the tape.

G4 Xserve OSX 10.2.8

Atto UL3S

Retrospect Workgroup 6.1

Quantum Certance LTO2 Ultrium

Please tell me that a fix is imminent or I will be forced to use another piece of software. We have been retrospect users for over 10 years and I would be sorry to have to go elsewhere, but I have 786gb of material to backup and am £1500 poorer for having bought the drive, card and software within the last month. I don't have the option of going back to an earlier software version either.

Come on dantz emc tell us you're working on it.

Mark

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

It seems that the problem between ul3x cards and LTO drives exists in an inability of the card to properly handle information regarding WORM media. This problem can occur whether or not WORM media is being used.

This is not a bug in Retrospect, and cannot be resolved by EMC.

"It seems that the problem between ul3x cards and LTO drives exists in an inability of the card to properly handle information regarding WORM media. This problem can occur whether or not WORM media is being used.

This is not a bug in Retrospect, and cannot be resolved by EMC. "

Rubbish!!!! - why does the UL3 card and Atto drive work with Retrospect 5.1 and six, but not 6.1? It also works fine with all the competitor's software, just not with Version 6.1???????? If it was a card / Drive issue then NOTHING would have worked. I would have felt better about my 15 year relationship with Retrospect if its new owners would actually work on a solution instead of shrugging it off!

Just my 2 cents - I have ordered the Atto UL4S card and will be very pissed off if that does not work!!!!!!!!

Stef

Hi Stef,

This is not rubbish. Retrospect 6.1 is the first version to make user of WORM media. I don't know who you are refering to as 'all the competitors,' but if there are no problems when using their program, then they likely do not make use of WORM media.

This issue has been reported to ATTO, and we are working with them on a resolution.

Ok - the rubbish bit was excessive - I apologise,

but I saved up for 3 years after my DLT went belly up to buy into a proper tape streamer and forked out the cash equivalent of 3000 USD on a machine (that is on the compatibility list) yesterday just to find out it does not work - offcourse the forum was down so I was on my own on the tip of Africa with a non working expensive doorstop. I should have the UL4S card in 5-6 days and hope it all goes well after that! Thanks for your reply!

Stef

Cape Town, South Africa blush.gif

Archived