"locked" DVDs - solution how to unlock

lvanland

While backing up to DVDs (my last resort until I can get Retrospect to communicate with my tape drive - see error 102, trouble communicating) I encountered the phenomenon of a "locked" DVD. At least that's what the properties box described it - never knew there was such a thing. Of course, "locked" DVD = no backup.

I found that if you select the DVD drive (or sometimes the "locked" media) the previously greyed out "eject" button will become available. By clicking "eject", the drive does not eject the media but Retrospect will immediately proceed with backup.

Clearly a bug but happily, one that works in the users favor..sort of.

Nate:

The brand is Maxell, speed is 16 and the type DVD+R.

The drive identifies as 16X12 DVD Dual DVD+R -RDI (1.56)

I've got two posts in this area, this is the same machine we are discussing in the adjacent -102 error Quantum tape drive post. This caper started when the tape got the -102 errors. I thought I would back up the most critical stuff to DVD only to get a -102 on this device also.

Thanks,

John

Hi

The issues are different even though the error number is the same.

Did you run a custom configuration on this drive or did Retrospect Recognize it automatically? There should be some more information about the DVD drive in the configure->devices->environment window. Can you post all of it please?

Can you disable any other burning software and try to verify the discs using the "verify" feature in Retrospect?

If you run the ASPICHK.exe utility located in the Retrospect program folder does it show that ASPI is installed? If so, what version?

Thanks

Nate

Archived