Always run as specified user is not working (RS7.0)

sdube

Hi,

I am using RS7.0 and I set a user and password for retrospect to run as. If retrospect starts by itself by a scheduled script, the user is used by Retrospect.

However, if I manually start Retrospect then only the logged-on user is used by retrospect as seen from the window caption.

What is wrong here?

Are you serious?

May be good for automated backups but not for manual ones. Only the backup user account can backup our database so if I launch a manual backup of those then the backup fails.

By the tone of your reply I assume that Dantz will not attempt to correct this bug and that saddens me.

Have a nice day.

Ok, time to clarify.

RS prefs set to use a specific user.

When RS automatically starts from a scheduled script, everything is fine. No backup errors, no auth errors.

When I start RS manually, I got backup errors because of auth errors since RS uses the logged-in user credentials instead of the one specified in prefs.

Is it clearer now?

Hi,

Yes, much clearer. Thank you.

When this problem occurs, is the logged in user an administrator or just a regular user?

Try this:

1)Set Retrospect to run as a user with admin priveleges.

2)Log in as a different admin.

Does the same problem occur?

Thanks

Nate

Logged in user is an administrator.

Retrospect is set to run with a user with admin privileges. This is a different user than the logged in user (admin also).

I even tried to log in as the user set in retrospect and see if it would use this user. May seem redundant but, as expected, retrospect uses the logged in user so this user is correct.

Thank you.

Hi

The event viewer system section should have an entry every time Retrospect starts up saying that the launcher service was started. What is the user associated with that message on your machine?

Have you ever manually modified the log on settings of the launcher service in the windows services control panel?

Thanks

nate

As a reminder, I do not have a problem with RS using the configured user when RS is started automatically. Only when I start it by double-clicking the RS icon.

Now, the RS launcher service was not modified and is set to use the system local account (interact with desktop). In the system event log I see an entry about the launcher service getting started successfully with the configured user. Again, this is expected since I have no problem whatsoever with RS using the configured user when RS starts automatically.

I don't think the launcher service is used when I double-click the RS icon to start RS manually, right?

Ok, I found something.

If I log on locally on the server and then manually start RS then it uses the user specified in prefs.

However, if I log on from a terminal service session and then manually start RS then it uses the logged on user.

It would seem that the problem is related to terminal service.

Inspecting the event log I see that the Launcher service uses the corresponding user, i.e., the user specified in prefs if logged on locally, the logged on user if logged on from a terminal server session.

I hope this information is useful for your programmers.

I'll try but is enabling this option will always start RS in terminal service mode when it starts automatically from a schedule?

Since we only have 3 possible terminal connections to the server including the local one I don't want to go this way for RS to run.

Thanks.

Archived