Most files on client PC not backed up...

Winston

I am backing up only "My Documents" on two PCs. The client PC is connected to the main PC via a wireless router. The directory to be backed up contains ~1700 files. Only 260 of them are being backed up.

Clearly, I have done something wrong. Any ideas?

Winston

(trial user)

Hi

How are you determining that only 260 files are being backed up? Retrospect supports single instance file backup. If identical files exist in multiple places the files will only be backed up from one.

Does the problem occur if you create a seperate backup set for each computer?

Thanks

Nate

Quote:

How are you determining that only 260 files are being backed up? Retrospect supports single instance file backup. If identical files exist in multiple places the files will only be backed up from one.

I looked at the file count on the Sessions page of the backup set's properties.

Quote:

Does the problem occur if you create a seperate backup set for each computer?

I haven't tried that. Is this a recommended practice?

Couple points.

The screen shot shows a Disk backup set. What size have you set it to? Unlike file backup sets, disk sets are set at the specified size. What size have you set? You need at least 11.1GB - based on the what's in Data + My Documents.

The screen shot shows there should be 15,029 files backed up - not 1721. It also says that all but 11 have been backed up => you should confirm again how many have been backed up. Try looking at the Operations log. You could also try starting a Restore operation - this will give an opportunity to browse for files.

HTH

Quote:

Couple points.

The screen shot shows a Disk backup set. What size have you set it to? Unlike file backup sets, disk sets are set at the specified size. What size have you set? You need at least 11.1GB - based on the what's in Data + My Documents.

72GB

Quote:

The screen shot shows there should be 15,029 files backed up - not 1721. It also says that all but 11 have been backed up => you should confirm again how many have been backed up. Try looking at the Operations log. You could also try starting a Restore operation - this will give an opportunity to browse for files.

The client source (STEPH) shows 1721 files, so does the restore screen. The problem is that I don't believe it because of the below session report which shows only 260 files backed up on the initial run. If I browse that Initial session, it is clear that most of the files are absent.

The local source labeled "Data" is not a problem as it appears to be self consistent.

Sessions.gif

HTH

Hi,

If you go to Configure > Volumes > Highlight the My Documents subvolume > click browse > type "ctrl + a" to select all, how many files does Retrospect report in the My Documents folder?

Since you are selecting "All Files", the numbers should match up with your Backup.

Is it possible there are duplicates of the 'missing' files in the "Data" folder that was backed up prior to "My Documents"? If the exact same files had already been backed up from Data they would not be copied a second time in the My Documents session.

However, the Snapshot for My Documents would show all the files which allows for a complete restore.

Quote:

Is it possible there are duplicates of the 'missing' files in the "Data" folder that was backed up prior to "My Documents"? If the exact same files had already been backed up from Data they would not be copied a second time in the My Documents session.

However, the Snapshot for My Documents would show all the files which allows for a complete restore.

doh.gif

When I saw your reply, I rejected it out-of-hand as being ridiculous. However it did describe a scenario that would produce exactly the results that I have seen with all my experiments...so, I looked for them.

Bingo! When My daughter's PC died last year, I took the drive from her old machine and installed it in mine and copied her data directory into mine for safe keeping and backup.

When her new PC arrived, I dutifully copied her directory to her new machine intending to remove them from my machine when I was sure all was well. Well, I completely forgot about them.

Thanks, Amy, for shining your light on this idiot's problem.

Also, thanks to everyone else who came to my assistance.

Archived