Files Will Not Restore To Original Location

LouJr

Hello:

I'm using Window's XP with 2 hard drives (C and D) and a Maxtor II One Touch 300 gig external hard drive.

I installed the Retrospect 7 software tonight and backed up the C and D hard drives. To test the restore I deleted a couple files from the D drive and started to restore them from the Maxtor. I checked the box indicating I wanted to restore the files to their original locations, however the software keeps restoring the files onto my C drive when they were originally backed up from the D drive. For some reason the software will not restore files backed up from the D drive onto the D drive.

The only way I can restore the files back to the D drive is to manually select the drive and directories. The "restore to original location" function seems to not want to use the D drive for some reason.

I checked the manual and can't find anything addressing this problem.

Any help is appreciated!

Lou

Hi

I just tested this and it worked for me. Files backed up from the D drive were restored to the D drive when I chose to restore to original location.

Doublecheck your file selections. Retrospect is smart enough to pay attention to drive letter so it really shouldn't be restoring to the wrong drive...

Nate

Hi Nate:

Still no luck.

In the restore wizard i check the box that says "restore to original location". The original location for the files I'm restoring is the D drive. However, even though at the initial window where I picked the D drive to restore, after I check "restore to original location" the system scans the C drive, not the D drive. The file select window does have the files from the D drive listed though.

After I select the file(s) to restore and I get to the Restore Summary window, it says it's restoring from Local Disc Of Backup Set A to Local Disc C. Local Disc C is not the original location.

This is very puzzling.

Lou

Hi

Sorry, one more test please.

If you back up some files from the Maxtor drive and try to restore them does Retrospect also try to put them on the C drive?

I suspect Retrospect is having trouble tracking volumes on your machine for some reason. One other thing to try is deleting your Retrospect settings files located in c/documents and settings/all users/application data/Retrospect. Removing this folder will erase all of your settings.

Thanks

nate

Hi Nate:

Yes, files backed up are placed on the C drive in answer to your question.

I deleted the settings file and re-ran the back up but i still have the same problem. The software wants to restore everything to the c drive instead of the original location.

Lou

Hi,

I believe this may be a bug in the wizard with select machines/environments.

Unfortunately we haven't been able to reproduce this.

Please email pacrimsupport@dantz.com with details so that we can work with you to resolve this.

The workaround would be to use the advanced restore.

1. Restore > Click on the link that says "Switch to Advanced Mode".

2. Choose Restore Files and Folders.

This method will give you more freedom and control with your restores.

Quote:

I created another backup set just for the d drive and backed up the D drive to that set, however when I went to restore files it again wanted to put them on the C drive.

Don't know if it's the same ball game but I had a similar problem though not to a different drive. I mangled some development files and thought to restore from backup.

To restore the files I first chose the Restore / Restore option but had a coronary when, after several option panels it looked like it was going to restore EVERYTHING. If there was a file selection in that retore option path, I didn't see any. So, I now use the Restore / Find Files option to first safely find just the files I needed to restore. After eventually finding a pattern that located my files, I then tried to restore them. However, after several attempts (without any errors), nothing seemed to happen and the files were not restored.

It turns out that the default action for Restore / Find Files is "Retrieve Files". I didn't think to change that since this was a RESTORE. However, that action does NOT restore them to their original location. It places them in a new folder tree under C:\ that is named after the back up set.

I eventually figured out that I had to change the action option to "Replace Corresponding Files" and the did the trick for me.

The Restore dialogs are terrible confusing - especially the file selection filters which take many failed attempts to find a pattern that finds ANY files, let alone the ones I want. crazy.gif

Q: Anyone know if choosing Restore / Restore evenutally allows you to select files? Each time I try that one, I do not see any by the time I get to the very scary panel in which it asks about Rolling Back Everything, just the Registry, etc. Since it doesn't tell you what will happen next, I turn white and hit cancel!

This MOST IMPORTANT area of Retrospect needs a complete rewrite. The restore wizard should itemize all the steps it WILL be taking BEFORE you take them. As it is, it is more like the corundrum, "Choose unmarked door A, B, or C. All you know is that one wins the lottery, one throws you into a meat grinder, the other boils you in oil. " smirk.gif

Hi

Page 72 of the users manual has a detailed step by step explaination of the restore process and the types of restore available.

The online help button on the bottom left of the restore wizard also has detailed descriptions of what each restore action will do.

Did these resources lack the details you needed?

Thanks

Nate

Quote:

Page 72 of the users manual has a detailed step by step explaination of the restore process and the types of restore available. The online help button on the bottom left of the restore wizard also has detailed descriptions of what each restore action will do.

Thanks, Nate. Help does not work if you use the instance of Restrospect that runs from the system tray. It's a known bug. You have to run from a program shortcut to see help. I usually run from the system tray's instance because it's there and Restrospect is often open from the previous backup run (which uses the systray instance). I'll run from the shortcut and check out the help panels more thoroughly. Sorry, I didn't pursue that angle.

I've aslo since done a safe test restore of one junk file using the Restore / Restore option and found that, indeed, the next panel in the Wizard after that fearful options panel about Registry and Rollback has the file selection function, after all. Mea culpa.

Archived