BUG? Windows Client Restore Errors

stb

File "C:\a\c.exe": can't duplicate to "C:\b\c.exe", error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried to restore a Windows XP SP2 machine (Windows Client 7.0.107) from a hard disk backup set (Retrospect Windows Server 7, latest update).

Some directories were encrypted using Windows EFS (NTFS encryption), the key is available separately.

I did a full restore (after installing SP2 and all Windows updates) to the same machine. I checked that EFS is available (was not available till the second boot after converting to NTFS), but I did not install the key yet (it would be needless because I assume Retrospect Client runs as SYSTEM and will not encrypt/decrypt files anyway).

Most files were restored, "All Users/Start menu" was skipped and some minor problems. So far so good. But after Retrospect shows "completing" it restores all duplicates by copying on the client machine. This failed mostly resulting in many missing files (at least the duplicates were missing). I assume this is a bug (Retrospect Client not able to copy encrypted files on the client machine).

This should be fixed! Either by fixing the Client (enabe it to copy encrypted files) or at least by pushing the files multiple times over the network (worse solution, but should work).

some more problem from LOG file:

Folder "C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\All Users\Startmenü\": can't write, error -1020 (sharing violation)

Folder "C:\Programme\Common~1\Micros~1\Replication Manager 4.0\": can't write, error -1101 (file/directory not found)

Folder "C:\Programme\Common~1\Micros~1\dao\": can't write, error -1101 (file/directory not found)

Folder "C:\Programme\Common~1\Micros~1\": can't write, error -1101 (file/directory not found)

Folder "C:\Programme\Common~1\": can't write, error -1101 (file/directory not found)

MapError: unknown Windows error -2.147.221.504

System configuration restored, please reboot the computer.

The last message was written to the log but Retrospect still shows "completing" and shows file names which are processed (but "0 files left", so pure copying seems to be complete)

Archived