Assertion failure at “elem.cpp-986”

rob.s

I’m having a problem with a new Exchange agent that I have recently added to our server. At first it appeared to work but after a few days it stopped backing up. Now when trying to select a source the Exchange server is greyed out and apparently not licensed. When I try to select it and use my licence Retrospect crashes with the following error:

Assertion failure at “elem.cpp-986”

Retrospect runs as is a domain admin and there are emails in this users mailbox. I have also tried creating another user who is a domain admin with mailbox but to no avail (as advised by tech support).

This is a big problem because our Exchange server is not being backed up. Can anyone help please?!

Hi

It may be corrupt settings files.

Close Retrospect and rename the Retrospect settings folder to "retrospect-orig". Then relaunch the program, enter you license codes and try to login the Exchange databases again.

Config files are located at system root\documents and settings\all users\application data.

Thanks

nate

• 6 months later...

Hi Don,

Since all of that information is stored in the configuration files that were damaged, those will need to be redefined and recreated. To guard against this inconvenience in the future, you can make a copy of the configXX.dat file and store it in another directory, or even a new folder in the same directory.

Retrospect has a built in guard against having to do this, which is the .bak version of the config file. When you exit Retrospect it exports the .dat to the .bak, unfortunately corruption in the configs is not always caught in time and often exported to the .bak file.

I'll make a copy as soon as I get finished with this note...

I was able to solve my elem.cpp-986 error by removing the client for my Exchange server & recreating it. Once recreated, I was able to reassign my license to the server without Retrospect crashing.

Thus, I didn't have to recreate everything...

Thanks,

Don

Archived