"Unrecognized Format" from restored backup?

New post, new problem. I still can't access any of my .rdb files created by retrospect, (see previous "BANSHEECAT" posts) and now none of my music files (.wav format) or my picture files (JPEG, GIF) which were restored to a different location will open, even when "Opened With" the original program they were created from! All I get is a ! warning "Canot open track, Unrecognized Format" or "Unable to recognize the format of this file". I've tried opening the same restored music file(s), all .wav or .wma format, with Creative MediaSource, Roxio AudioCentral, and Windows Media Player and get the same warning----none of them will play this "Unrecognized Format". What gives with Retrospect?!? What has Retrospect done to these files to make them "Unrecognizable"?!? So far, everything I've backed up with Retrospect---regardless of backup method or medium--has been "lost", no matter what the file format. I've found files/folders within my restored Catalog Files, and their 'properties' show they have substance, (i.e. file size/format) but none of them functions! Would somebody kindly tell me what I'm doing/not doing wrong here? Am I to assume that--- given all the problems I've faced with Retrospect so far---that this program, as well as every single file I've backed up with it, is nothing but garbage? I sure hope someone has some sort of credible answer for me, because I'm about at the end of my rope here.

Those files, as stated above, were backed up to a different location (as well as at another time) and for some reason were backed up in .rbc format, not .rdb as the ones to DVD, and therefore I was able to restore them. HOWEVER, even though I was able to restore them, when accessed they still come up as "Unrecognized Format" even when opened with the original program that created them.

Hi

I see. I've never seen Retrospect break a file on restore. Were these files backed up from a compressed volume or an ecrypted volume? Did you restore the files to a different location than the original?

Were you having problems with the computer when you ran this backup? Is it possible that the files were damaged before they were backed up?

Thanks

Nate

Nate---No, the files were not on a compressed or encrypted volume, but they were restored to a different location. I had backed up my entire computer to one of my external H.D. drives, then made some upgrades to my computer (new mobo, processor, graphics card) but retained the old H.D.s. I did the complete back-up to protect myself in case I lost files while performing my upgrade. (which is suggested anytime an upgrade is performed) After the upgrades I re-partitioned my H.D.s, (internals) therefore essentially wiping them clean, and then re-installed my O.S. and all my original Apps. Due to all of the problems I have been having reading ANY of the files I backed up using Retrospect I have restored them to four separate H.D.s (I'm running 4 drives in a RAID 0+1 array) including the 2 original H.D.s plus the external H.D they were backed up to and I get the same results: "Unrecognized File Format". I don't see why it should make any difference where the files were restored to, since they were backed-up in their original file format (.wav, .jpg, etc.) and should therefore be accessible from any program that supports those formats. Also, I've tried to open these restored files using the same programs that originally created them, such as Windows Media Player, Creative MediaSource, Roxio AudioCentral, Adobe Photoshop 7, Adobe ImageReady, etc., and still get "Unrecognized Format" or "Cannot open track, Unrecognized Format". Why??? Note: This may or may not apply to the .rdb files discussed in my other thread----I wouldn't know because I CAN'T OPEN THEM AT ALL!

Just to confirm, after Retro restores the files, do the files appear with the right extensions - i.e., .way, .jpg, etc? If not, you need to use Retro itself to restore the files to the right format.

Also, .rbc is a catalog file - there are no files within the catalog files, just a catalog. When viewing a catalog file with Retro, you will be able to see the files and their sizes, but it's just a catalog.

HTH

Hi

The RBC file is an index of the data stored in the RDB files. The RBC is called a "catalog file" and the RDB files are your actual backed up data.

The files backed up in Retrospect can be restored anywhere. The format of the disk doesn't matter.

Were there any errors in your Retrospect logs when you backed up?

Thanks

Nate

• 4 weeks later...

No. Retrospect shows no errors during backup---it shows backup 'completed successfully'. Other "BANSHEECAT" post ("Express 6.5/Veried device not configured?/.rdb files?") is companion to this post, and all problems still exist---no solution has been given, and now I'm getting personal e-mail responses from individuals with the same problem---thery're getting no help either.

Archived