Retro Express HD and .net framework 2.0

TorontoUser

I have the same problem on my machine. OS = XP Pro

see http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?&query=dantz&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.dotnet.general&p=1&tid=3ac9c8f3-7f3e-4fb4-af67-717a53c83c2a&mid=3ac9c8f3-7f3e-4fb4-af67-717a53c83c2a

No help from the Micrsosoft newsgroup either.

I was told to uninstall HD and install the OEM version of ver 6 from same Maxtor CD.

• 2 weeks later...

I have found a work-around for this problem...

1) Close Retro Express HD if it is currently running (right-click the tray icon and select "Exit").

2) Create a file called "Retrospect.exe.config" (just a simple text file, but it must be named exactly as stated, without the quotes) in the same directory as the Retrospect.exe file. On my machine, the directory is found at:

C:\Program Files\Dantz\Retrospect Express HD\

3) Open that file in the text editor of your choice, and add the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

<configuration>

<startup>

<supportedRuntime version="v1.1.4322" />

</startup>

</configuration>

4) Save the file.

5) Run Retro Express HD from your start menu, and it should now work (at least it does for me).

The "bug" here is that the Retrospect.exe file is loading the "latest" installed version of the .NET runtime (CLR) found on the machine. The config file we added above tells the application to SPECIFICALLY load the 1.1 version of the Framework.

I hope this is of assistance to someone else...being a .NET developer, I can't afford to uninstall the 2.0 Framework, so that option was not acceptable. After a little digging, I came up with this.

Chris

I have followed the instructions for installing this "update", and it still does not work. The symptom is exactly the same as before...the application is stuck showing "Updating status", and the "Setup" button does not respond.

The method I discussed previously though still appears to work. After installing the "update", I can get it to work by creating a config file in the application directory that forces the Retrospect.exe executable to use the 1.1 Framework.

Thanks,

Chris

I'm using AVG Free 7.1.362

The original (CD) install of Express HD worked fine for me until I installed the .NET 2.0 Framework. After that, it quit working until I created the config file I talked about previously.

After seeing Mayoff's message about the update being released, I renamed the config file (so that it would no longer be recognized) and installed the update. It still did not work (although the new green color scheme is an improvement), showing the same symptoms as stated previously.

So, I renamed the config back again, and it appears to work again.

I "debugged" this using Process Explorer from SysInternals, and have verified that both the CD-install version AND the "updated" version of Retrospect.exe load the .NET 2.0 Framework by default. I can only get it to work beforcing it to load the 1.1 Framework.

Thanks,

Chris

I have noticed something like this too..there appears to be a "painting" issue when you first run the program (I had this painting problem even before having the problems with the .NET Framework). I have found that if you minimize and then restore the app, it appears to paint correctly.

HTH...

Chris

I was very pleased to read your solution, simple and sensible. Unfortunately, it did not work for me. I also tried the "upgrade" from Dantz (it seems to be a complete reinstallation of 1.1 and removal of 1.0) with the same results. The new install added a .config file which is essentially the same as yours, the only difference being theirs has "requiredRuntime" where yours has "supportedRuntime"

Any additional thoughts would be very much appreciated since I have no intention of uninstalling .net V2.

TIA

Hank

Hmmm...as long as the config file is named properly, this should work. Are your Windows Explorer settings set to allow you to view the complete file name? By default, Windows will hide the file extension of "known file types", which includes TXT files. If when creating your config file (with Notepad or whatever text editor you used) a TXT extension was accidentally tacked onto the end, it would cause it not to work as expected.

Other than that, I am not sure (off the top of my head) what to check next.

HTH...

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

I have been trying to get this working for over an hour tonight. I was able to get 1.0 to start and complete the initial setup wizard after using the config file hack. I then ran the 1.1 update and it says "unlicensed" on the start up screen. Using the config file hack on 1.1 doesn't solve the problem. "unlicensed" remains in the startup screen and I can't get passed that. Any further info available on this problem?

thanx,

chaim

• 3 weeks later...

Im having the same problem with this software. I have a Maxtor Onetouch II and initially when I installed the Retrospect Express HD software, it hung at "updating status."

I then found this thread and installed the 1.1 update as suggested. Afterwards, when I launch Retrospect Express I get an "unlicensed" message.

Since then I have uninstalled, deleted the folder under docs and settings\all users\app data\retrospect. I then reinstalled Maxtor one-touch and retrospect from my Maxtor CD, rebooted, installed the 1.1 update again and again I get the same "unlicensed" message.

I'm about 4 hours into this now and still having the same problem. I tried creating the text file "retrospect.exe.config" with the settings mentioned previously in this thread. At that point, Retrospect 1.0 launched ok and I got no "updating status" message, but then I got an unlicensed message with the 1.0 version.

I really want to make this work so if anyone has any suggestions I would truly appreciate it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived