Retrospect and APC Powerchute Network Shutdown

bleyran

I found a Kbase article #6438 specifically states: “If a backup is taking place at the time of the power failure and APC tries to turn off the computer Retrospect may prevent shutdown. To avoid this problem write an AppleScript that is triggered by PowerChute. The AppleScript would need to access the following Retrospect AppleScript dictionary item: stop execution. This will stop the currently running backup and prevent "really stop execution" dialog boxes.”

I have found a few applescripts online that accesses the “Stop Execution” dictionary item for retrospect and I am new to writing applescripts. I also know this article is over a year old and probably refers to a previous software release, but I am doing what the kbase article specifically says to do and I am still getting these “Really Stop Execution” dialog boxes. This is happening even if we edit the “Backup Server” script schedule to a “Custom Schedule” or “Always Active.” My backups are critical to our company and in the event of a power failure I need to make sure that the backups do not corrupt the catalog file. There has to be a way to stop the “Really Stop Execution” dialog boxes from popping up when running the applescript. I am starting to believe that Retrospect isn’t the right software to use for critical backups. Please advise. Thank you.

Below is the Applescript I was given by Retrospect. A "Really Stop" dialogue box keeps popping up asking me to "Start Server," "Don't Quit'" or "Quit." This will stop the machine from gracefully shutting down. Please help if you have any applescript experience. Thank you.

tell application "Retrospect"

stop execution

end tell

tell application "Retrospect"

quit

end tell

Archived