SQL Container not seen

jallensls

I am running Retrospect 7.0 Multiserver with the value package on my Windows 2003 Server running SQL Server 2000. All products have the latest patches/service packs. I cannot get Retrospect to show the SQL container. In the licensing tab, I see that I have 0 SQL license in use, and 1 available. SQL was installed prior to Retrospect, so it's not a re-boot issue (it's been rebooted many times since both were installed). Does anything ned to be done to activate/use the SQL license? Any help would be appreciated.

more info....I have another perfectly working SQL server (Win 2000 server in this case, with SQL 2000 and the latest Retrospect). I installed the retrospect CLIENT on both servers just to see what they can see about each other. My problem server (Server A) CAN indeed see the SQL container on the client server (server B), so it's not a licensing issue - the SQL agent seems to be installed and working. Also, server B sees server A as a client, but DOES NOT show a SQL container. So for whatever reason Retrospect cannot/does not see the SQL server instance on server A either locally or as a client. Is there something with Windows Server 2003 (the only variable) that is prohibiting Retrospect from recognizing the SQL instance? Some sort of port/authentication/security issue??

Hi

It wouldn't be a security problem. Retrospect connects to the database the same way it would any other computer.

I suspect the database is either not registered somewhere or that there are some strange permissions at play that prevent Retrospect from seeing the DB.

Type CTRL + ALT + P + P in Retrospect and set trees and volumes logging to "7" Then Restart Retrospect and open the configure volumes window. Then set logging back to 3 and restart Retrospect.

Your Retrospect log will have a bunch of debug information in it. Do you see any errors about SQL?

Thanks

Nate

Archived