Sign in to follow this  
kevinf94

Windows client scanning starts, then bounces off network

I have a Windows client attempting to be backed up to a OSX back-up machine. All the other Windows clients backup successfully. This client machine is seen by Retrospect and can initiate the scanning of the client before backing it up. But, it stalls in the same location during the scan, then says it's attempting a NET RETRY, then gives the Error 519 (network communication failed) dialog box. All the while the machine is at NET RETRY, I can successfully ping the client's IP address.

Any ideas as to what's wrong?

Some possibilities:

1. Does the client running XP with native firewall active, or W2k with TCP/IP filtering?

2. Is there any third-party firewall installed?

3. Play with half/full duplex and autonegotiation on/off on the client's NIC. I know that it's an old issue that was resolved eons ago by all manufacturers, but...

3. Native OSX firewall on the Retrospect server?

4. Is there a managed switch between the machine in question and Retrospect server? I've seen strange things on Cisco Catalyst and HP switches.

5. If you can, sniff the traffic between two machines and compare w/working client.

Sorry, I did not notice the "it stalls in the same location during the scan". File corruption, perhaps?

Do you know what is this particular location, for example, files copied from another server that carry other user's AD set of rights?