Matching files and synthetic backup from "last version"

Ivar

Hi,

I need to make synthetic backup not from snapshot, but from "last version".

With backup-set transfer this cant be done and I need to restore with "find files" to real

disk (temporarily) and then backup it to new backup-set. All seems OK, but when I want

to proceed with progressive backup, then it wants to copy all files from original disk because

it assumes that all files dont match. Of course really they match.

Quote:

Hi

Retrospect 7 has a Snapshot transfer feature that does exactly this.

Thanks

nate

No, it does not do this - I dont want to transfer snapshots, but instead "last version" of file.

If I do snapshot-transfer, then last snapshot dont contain files those are deleted earlyer from

partition.

Quote:

Hi

By definition a snapshot contains all current versions of all files from the time stamp of the snapshot.

But the time stamp (and snapshot) dont contain all files or all current versions.

If example I delete all files from partition and then make incremental snapshot, then this

snapshot dont contain any file.

Quote:

If you select to transfer the most recent snapshot, only the latest versions of the files in the snapshot will be transferred.

Thanks

Nate

Yes, but snapshots itselt dont contain all files. I am not interested about files existed

in concrete snapshot, but "last version" that may exist in previous snapshot and previous

snapshot dont also contain all "last versions" those may exist in newer snapshot.

Are You even seen how works IBM Tivoli Storage Manager? There is exactly that I just talking.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived