Open File Backup no longer working- v.6.5 w/ 2003 Server

I used to run v.6.5 on a W2K Server with Open File Backup. Moved 6.5 to a W2K3 server and it doesn't work any more. Any thoughts? Maybe I didn't re-apply the Open File Backup back-up license correctly??? Or, is it W2K3 Server?

Thx,

Chris

• 4 months later...

I have a similar problem ... I have just upgraded my server from NT4 to Win2k, and now I get lots of "Can't use Open File Backup option for <disk>, error -1012 (feature unsupported)" messages.

I've tried removing the Open File license and reloading it but still the same problem!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi,

For error -1012 when using Open File Backup, the most common cause of failure is a conflict of open file managers from a previously installed backup application (usually Veritas). Double check that any other application's open file managers are uninstalled, then run the Retrospect installer again and perform a "custom installation" selecting only the Open File Backup Manager for installation at the default path.

Thanks for the response. I've tried what you suggested, but still get the same :-( I removed the Open Files license, ran the custom install & selected "Open File backup not available", then ran a backup. Got several 'sharing' errors (as you'd expect). Re-ran setup & selected "Open File backup to run from disk", re-entered the Open File license, bu still got the same symptoms ... any other thoughts?

Steve.

I'm not aware of any other open file managers (although I'm not entirely sure that I know what I'm looking for!). The only thing that has changed since it used to work was that I have upgraded the o/s from NT4 Server to Win2k server. I'll try disabling as many things as I can to see if I can find any conflicts ... many thanks for your advice.

Steve.

Success!

Following your advise, I remembered that I'd installed Ghost to make a backup of the system disc before the upgrade to w2k. I'd forgotten that the version I was using had a 'resident' bit too for doing 'online' copies. I've uninstalled it & rebooted (just uninstalling wasn't enough, even though the s/w didn't ask for a reboot!!) and now it's working fine again.

Many thanks for your help in pointing me in the right direction.

Steve.

Archived