Help with issues. Retrospect version 7.0.249

Greetings,

I would like some help with an issue we are having. We currently run 7.0.249 with a SuperDLT drive. The backup works well, to an extent. We have a set where we run an entire backup of the servers once on the weekend. Then we run a differential backup every morning around 2am. On one of the servers everything works great, but on our other server, which is our exchange server, it is eating through tapes like mad.

A few months ago we could go a few months on one tape of our daily backup because not much changes on our exchange server. But recently, even before we upgraded to 7.0.249, it is going through a tape once a week. These are 300-600GB tapes that I am talking about. We have recreated the sets numerous times in our efforts to fix the issue but still no results. Nothing significant changed on the server to cause this issue. One day it just started going through tapes like crazy.

I would appreciate any direction that can be given in this matter.

Thanks,

Matthew Hall

Hi,

First, I would recommend updating to 7.0.326 and RDU 7.0.8.

Second, after the inital full backup of the exchange server, check within Retrospect to see what is going to be backed up on the next incremental backup.

Ex.

Setup an Immediate Backup with the exchange server as the source and your tape backup as the destination. Click on the Preview button and it will show you what files will be backed up. Files that have already been backed up will have diamond icons next to them.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings,

We upgraded and did what you suggested. The preview shows that it is backing up the entire exchange store every day. This despite the fact that it is only supposed to do differential backups for the exchange store. The store is around 14GB, so it can eat through a tape rather quickly.

I am working with some users to decrease the overall size of the store, but still something is obviously not working correctly here. Do you have any further ideas/suggestions we could try?

Thanks,

MD Hall.

Archived