Pioneer DVR-105 with DVD-R?

I'm finding conflicting info about media support for the DVR-105 in my G4 MDD 1.25 MP. When I search for supported devices it seems to indicate that only DVD-RW is supported. However, the page it returns

<http://www.dantz.com/en/support/compatibility_list_search.dtml?inputSearchManufacturer=Pioneer&inputSearchInterface=ATAPI&inputSearchMedia=DVD-RW&inputSearchQualified=mac&submit=Search>

includes a link for the device with this note:

2) Only DVD-R and DVD-RW media is supported with this drive and Retrospect. CD-R and CD-RW media in not supported for use with Retrospect. Dantz recommends using Apple branded DVD-R media with this drive.

I have not been able to successfully use Retrospect 6.0 with non-Apple DVD-R media. Is it honestly Apple disks or nothing? I just installed 6.1.126 but haven't tried it yet. Will this make any difference? I'd rather not go out an buy more disks until I'm sure.

Thanks - JAY

Hi

Beleive it or not media/drive combinations can have a real impact on the quality and reliablity of the data write. This is especially true with the write method Retrospect uses.

They are more expensive but the Apple discs are giving you a reliable backup.

Thanks

nate

Hi

No, you did smile.gif

Theoretically it should work with all media. Some drives are pickier than others. Trial and error is the only way to find out what works for your drive.

FWIW - other backup devices like hard disk, tape, removeable disk etc. don't have this problem with media.

Thanks

Nate

I'm not sure quoting from a support page really qualifies as definite confirmation. In fact, I'm quite sure that it doesn't which is why I posted to the forum. I was hoping that someone who had actually used this drive with a similar configuration and specific media would respond. It doesn't do me much good to hear what "theoretically .. should work" or what I might try.

My regular backup method is to hard drive. I want to be able to use DVD for archiving and transferring between machines.

Anybody else actually used this version of Retrospect with Apple DVD-R media in this MAC?

• 3 weeks later...

For the sake of posterity, I thought I'd close out this thread by reporting my findings. I was finally able to get around to ordering some Apple DVD-R disks in order to try this. Unfortunately, they didn't work either. So, there is some inaccurate info in the support documents for this device. It would appear that this version of Retrospect will not back up to DVD-R using the Pioneer DVR-105 drive, at least not under OSX.

I'll be reporting my findings to the company.

Archived