"Closing..." time

Hi.

Running Retrospect 7.0.326, 7.0.7.101 update on a Windows 2000 Retrospect server with Sony AIT-2 tape library.

Running proactive backup, on some (all?) clients (both Mac and PC) it takes a long time for Retrospect to finish off the client. It says "Closing..." for several minutes with no activity going on: Tape drive idle, CPU usage very low, no indication of any activity in Retrospect. Then suddenly a split second of "Execution completed succesfully" after which Retrospect starts polling for the next client.

Why is Retrospect "Closing..." for several minutes?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quote:

Retrospect could be updating the catalog, combining log files, updating the backup report or any number of things.

Don't these activities have their own message? Are they all "Closing..."?

Quote:

Is there any disk activity on the machine when Retrospect is doing this?

I have to get back to you on this. I'll keep my eyes open when a client finishes.

Hi.

Sorry, I didn't know what Windows System Restore was/is. After a little research, I found it to be a feature of Windows ME and Windows XP. We run Windows 2000 on the backup server, so we don't run Windows System Restore at all.

I will be on holiday next week, so it will be a while before I can read your reply. I hope to find a solution when I get back. ;-)

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:

At this point you would need to run a program that monitors file access to see what is going on. I wonder if a virus scan is trying to monitor Retrospect files?

Hi.

Sorry for the delay in responding, I've been on holiday.

We just tried a performance monitor tool and it's Retrospect that reads and writes the hard drive for several minutes while "Closing". We don't even have anti-virus software installed on the server.

It's the "Closing" after "Building snapshot" and "Copying snapshot" that takes 5-6 minutes.

Excerpt from log:

2005-10-25 15:33:08: Copying Acerdata (D:) on pc-msv

2005-10-25 15:33:08: No files need to be copied

2005-10-25 15:33:33: Snapshot stored, 12 KB

2005-10-25 15:39:26: Execution completed successfully

Duration: 00:06:18 (00:00:16 idle/loading/preparing)

It took almost 6 minutes closing and no files were backed up. (It doesn't take longer even if files WERE backed up.)

Regards

Lennart

Quote:

Snapshot creation, catalog compression, updating settings files all take some time. I suspect what you are seeing is normal.

Hi.

No, no, don't know and no way.

The snapshot creation does take time and is NOT included in the mentioned 5-6 minutes. See the log above: snapshot is stored at 15:33:33, but "Closing" doesn't end until 15:39:26.

The catalog files are not compressed. (I just checked in case the option had changed somehow.)

Why should any settings file be updated after "No files need to be copied"???

I didn't see this in version 6.5. We upgraded to 7.0 a few weeks ago and it started after that. But I don't think it started immediately. I don't know if you remember, but I had to delete the 7.0 prefs files and convert the 6.5 files again. I think that's when it all started.

So, no, I don't think it's normal.

Thanks

Lennart

Hi

What I'm saying is there are some wrap up processes that could take a few minutes even dealing with a snapshot from a backup that copied no files. This sort of delay is at least conceivable...

You also had problems with proactive backup right? Re-importing your preferences from 6.5 cleared that up if I am not mistaken. Maybe your 6.5 preferences were corrupt in some way that the import to 7.0 didn't go well. When you tried a backup with clean 7.0 preferences did you have the same delay at the end of the backup?

Thanks

Nate

I don't remember if there were any problems when I tried the "empty" prefs files. The test was too short.

In another thread you wrote: "For what its worth - the backup software will never corrupt your files."

Does that include Retrospect's own files, such as the prefs files?

Hi Lennart,

In that post I was saying that simply reading files for backup won't hurt them. That applies to Retrospect files too.

There are however other reasons why Retrospect settings files would be corrupt. A system crash during backup, memory management errors, a bad sector on disk could foul up the preferences in some minor way. Enough that Retrospect would limp along but act strangely in some areas.

Thanks

Nate

Hi.

I was planning to delete the prefs files today (and enter all clients, redo scripts etc). Unfortunately, my hard drive in my PC crashed so I will be restoring files instead. At least I got a backup ;-)

I will rebuild the prefs files next week instead.

Thanks

Sorry I wasn't clear: It was the drive in my PC that crashed, not the hard drive in the Retrospect server.

Retrospect couldn't even scan the files on my hard drive, so it skipped to the next client without delay.

My supplier was out of stock on hard drives, so I'm still waiting for the replacement. Sigh.

Hi.

OK, I now have a new hard drive in my PC, so that problem is solved.

Today, I quit Retrospect server, renamed the "Retrospect" folder with the prefs files, started Retrospect, entered all licence codes, added all users, recreated all scripts etc etc.

The only thing that isn't new is the catalog file. We do a New Backup Set backup every Friday, which will (obviously) create a new catalog file.

There is STILL a problem with "Closing..." taking minutes. <sigh>

Now what?

Thanks

Lennart

Hi.

Yes, turning off snapshots and Windows security information did make a difference. No 5 minute delay while "closing".

So:

* What is the disadvantage turning off snapshots?

* What is the disadvantage turning off Windos security information?

* What is Retrospect doing for 5 minutes read/writing on the hard drive? (Simply appending snapshots and Windows security info would be a breeze, right? Especially since Retrospect did spend some time creating the snapshot, NOT included in the mentioned 5 minutes.)

Thanks

Lennart

Archived