Retrospect Proactive backup as an NT Service

So for proactive to run, one must log in, start the retrospect app and start proactive?

As a server application I would like to see it kick off at boot-time to mitigate unscheduled reboots and other interruptions.... no?

During setup we'd already given it a service account to "run as" so I would expect retrospect has everything it needs (that an user can provide) to start on its own and do its magic....

.......I'd like server apps to restart on its own, I hate coming in 3:30 in the morning (telecommute or otherwise) just because the server rebooted and all I needed to come in for is to login and start the app.

And Ideas?

Arthur

Hi

You don't need to log in. Any Retrospect script will launch at the scheduled time as long as the machine is powered on.

Retrospect has a launcher service that will start the app according to schedule.

When Retrospect launches like this it launches into either the system account or a user account that is specified.

In other words Retrospect relies on one service to get started but the Retrospect application does not launch or run as a true service.

Thanks

Nate

My fault, it was because when i hit the exit button after i've set up the proactive backup retrospect asked if i wanted to terminate the proactive backup.... hence my question..

turned out proactive was already running at that time, thats why....

Thanks for the clarification nate!

Hi,

If you are in the middle of any kind of execution, that execution will be terminated when you close the program.

However, if you have a proactive backup scheduled to run while you are logged off, the Retrospect Launcher service is still running (since it is running as a Windows Service) and will automatically launch the proactive backup in the logged out state.

?

I miss something...

For example, I create a Proactive job (automate proactive backup).

I choose a source and a destination, then I chosse schedule everyday with custom time only between 12h00 to 13h00.

After I have to go to Active Monitor Proactive Backup and press start.

After I close Retrospect I got warning message : Relly stop execution of pro active backup

What I miss ?

Hi

No, this is normal.

Proactive doesn't always start exactly on time. It may take a few minutes after the shceduled start for the engine to kick in. This is normal. Proactive doesn't run on a rigid a schedule as other scripts. Its just one quirk of the Proactive engine.

Once Retrospect launches into a user session it cannot be closed without stopping all executions. That is also normal.

Thanks

Nate

Archived